Best Form Of Backup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Alright, I am getting to the point where I have spent ALOT of time, effort, and (for the sake of argument) money, on my media collection (music, movies, audiobooks, etc). The question I am posing to you all is what is the best form of backup to back all of these files up? I thought about burning to DVDs, but that posed the question of, say in a month or two, how will I know what has been added since last backup? will I have to go through and pick all of the files out manually? I would like something other than the suggestion of having a mirror HDD if you would.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i would recommend an external hard drive that has automatic backup and you program it what to back up at that certain time. there are tons of external hdds that do this you just have to researc. ;)

Reaction score
i would recommend an external hard drive that has automatic backup and you program it what to back up at that certain time. there are tons of external hdds that do this you just have to researc. ;)

If you back up to a external hard drive does it just keep adding new music etc to your backup file or does it create a new file?

Reaction score
I am not sure I am qualified to say what is best but I use the program "Backup" and backup my files to a second HD that I have installed. Effortless and efficient.

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see all of these options are for a second hdd... I would rather not do it like that as "what if" both hdd's would fail at or around the same time (seems not possible, but it could happen) and also I really do not have the money to buy another 160gb and two 500gb's at the moment.

I have been thinking about it though and you can sort itunes through date added instead of artist, album, etc. what I might do is go through now and just burn all my music to DVD's (over a week or twos time) and then once a month sort by date added and just add all the new stuff from the last backup... To me it seems that it would work, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You asked for the "best form of backup", in my opinion, that would be a large external hard drive and regular backups using SuperDuper - which will backup absolutely everything on your system AND make it bootable. In the event of a failure, you can immediately be back up and running by merely attaching your external drive and booting from it.

It's expensive, I know. And yes, there is a very small likelihood that both drives may fail simultaneously - but then, there's a very small chance that an asteroid will hit the Earth and wipe out life as we know it as well - rendering your backup useless anyway :) But if your data is important to you, it's well worth the peace of mind and short recovery time.

Sure, you can backup to optical discs, but there's a chance that they can be damaged too. Just as backup tapes can fail over time. My point is that all backup media has a small chance of failing. Choose your poison, but the "best" form of backup, is an external, dedicated backup hard drive.

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You asked for the "best form of backup", in my opinion, that would be a large external hard drive and regular backups using SuperDuper - which will backup absolutely everything on your system AND make it bootable. In the event of a failure, you can immediately be back up and running by merely attaching your external drive and booting from it.

It's expensive, I know. And yes, there is a very small likelihood that both drives may fail simultaneously - but then, there's a very small chance that an asteroid will hit the Earth and wipe out life as we know it as well - rendering your backup useless anyway :) But if your data is important to you, it's well worth the peace of mind and short recovery time.

Sure, you can backup to optical discs, but there's a chance that they can be damaged too. Just as backup tapes can fail over time. My point is that all backup media has a small chance of failing. Choose your poison, but the "best" form of backup, is an external, dedicated backup hard drive.

yes I see what your saying, maybe I will just have to keep putting money aside, hope my drive doesnt fail for a little longer, and buy a 1tb drive eventually for backup.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have to 2nd cwa107 on this one
superduper is a great app - I've had occasion to restore my internal drive twice in the last month, i tend to do some things that I know I shouldn't

And just consider, to put 1 TB+ of stuff on DVD's you'll need 250 disks or more and the time to do it.

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have to 2nd cwa107 on this one
superduper is a great app - I've had occasion to restore my internal drive twice in the last month, i tend to do some things that I know I shouldn't

And just consider, to put 1 TB+ of stuff on DVD's you'll need 250 disks or more and the time to do it.

yeah thats why i was going to start now, but i think i will wait it out and go for the backup drive..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.