Not taking long is it...lol

Reaction score
I am suprised apple didn't see this comming. Sounds like they should have added more security features.
this is from apples point of view. I do think this is good for consumers however.

Reaction score
I imagine they saw it coming but what are they going to do about it? If companies are willing to commit teams of engineers to work around the clock to crack/unlock your product, they're going to do it. There's not much that can be done and, honestly, Apple probably doesn't care all that much.

All it will mean for Apple is more iPhone sales. AT&T are the ones who need to be concerned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And when it stops working the next time there is firmware update that gets uploaded to a hacked/unlocked phone, listen for the howl from all those folks now sitting with a $600 brick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well, as my grandfather always said, close don't count in anything but horseshoes and hand grenades. If I had a nickel for every person reporting that they are "close" I'd have a couple iPhone free. It's not newsworthy until it's done.

Even if they do, I'm sure Apple knows how it will be done and can make a check any time you dock it, then brick it until it's properly activated. You would have to hack uploading iTunes content too, which could also be done.

I don't know if Apple will want to though, there is a huge untapped market of people wanting an unlocked version. But Apple probably has a legal duty to it's partnership with AT&T to do anything necessary to stop it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
And when it stops working the next time there is firmware update that gets uploaded to a hacked/unlocked phone, listen for the howl from all those folks now sitting with a $600 brick.

Bingo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
how are updates accomplished? are they automatic or do they require some user input? i know to update my phone i must authorize it.

can't unlocked uses just not download/do "updates" on their phones?

Reaction score
yea, the only downside to unlocking is the software updates.. i never thought about that. i was waiting until it got unlocked to get one.. but considering this i dont know. if it does get unlocked and can work on sprint does that mean you can use EVDO internet? or any internet faster than EDGE?

JRV

Reaction score
What cell phone company would allow an unlocked iPhone to be added to their network? Wouldn't that be illegal? Isn't this like stealing an expensive car and then taking it to a body shop that knows you shouldn't have it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
No. There is no law against unlocking a phone and using it on another provider's network. In fact, I've been hearing comments alluding to some kind of legislation that protects people from being prosecuted for this kind of thing.

Many people make a business out of unlocking phones as a service or unlocking and reselling phones. This was really huge during the early RAZR boom when they were limited to providers too.

I guess, as far as the communication function of a cell phone and network go, it's pretty basic and dependent on the network and the radio in the phone, so as long as those are compatible, it doesn't matter much what phone it is. The downside is other phone-specific functions may not work if their tied to a certain provider, such as the visual voicemail function of the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
yea, the only downside to unlocking is the software updates.. i never thought about that. i was waiting until it got unlocked to get one.. but considering this i dont know. if it does get unlocked and can work on sprint does that mean you can use EVDO internet? or any internet faster than EDGE?
It would only work on GSM carriers (Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA)

Reaction score
what carriers are gsm? do any have faster internet than EDGE?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
AT&T/Cingular, T-Mobile use GSM
Sprint and Verizon use CDMA
Nextel uses iDEN

T-Mobile has not launched a 3G network yet (Not that the phone would work on a 3G network if it was unlocked) and has similar EDGE speeds to AT&T.

Even if (when) the phone is unlocked, Visual Voicemail will not work on the phone, and you will need to have a data plan for the other carrier (which would probably end up being more than the AT&T plan)

Reaction score
AT&T/Cingular, T-Mobile use GSM
Sprint and Verizon use CDMA
Nextel uses iDEN

T-Mobile has not launched a 3G network yet (Not that the phone would work on a 3G network if it was unlocked) and has similar EDGE speeds to AT&T.

Even if (when) the phone is unlocked, Visual Voicemail will not work on the phone, and you will need to have a data plan for the other carrier (which would probably end up being more than the AT&T plan)

geez.. thanks for the info. i've been waiting for it to be unlocked so i can use it with sprint and EVDO.. i shoulda asked before. i think i am going to buy it tomorrow if we still have them in stock

Reaction score
Hopefully, it will be unlocked by mid August. I live in the UK where its legal to unlock phones, but illegal to change the IMEI number. I'm going to buy the iPhone when I visit Orlando next month, $600 is cheap for a phone like this to us.I refuse to take out another contract in the UK just for the iPhone.
The thing I thought of is Apple re-locking the phone via iTunes, so will just transfer music via bluetooth,slow I know, but safer I think.

Thats if they are able to unlock it ?? :Angry-Tongue: :Angry-Tongue:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.