My new mac book... General tips?

Reaction score
Hey jsut opened up my gorgeous new macbook, im using it for music cant wait to get started, what i was wondering is should i let the battery fully charge before switching it on, then should i let it run all the way down, some batterys like this for the life but sum dont at all, some dont matter, its got to with lithium or something?

If anyone got any new user tips itd be greatly appreciated...

OP
C
Reaction score
I searched and found info about the battery, if you guys dont knwo you shoudl try it.

I presume you dont know because noone who viewed replyed.

Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), MacBook (all models), MacBook Pro (all models), and MacBook Pro (17-inch) (all models)
The battery calibration for the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) and any model of MacBook or MacBook Pro has been updated because of a new battery released with this computer. With these computers, follow these steps to calibrate your battery:

Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.
Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.
Tip: When the battery reaches "empty", the computer is forced into sleep mode. The battery actually keeps back a reserve beyond "empty", to maintain the computer in sleep for a period of time. Once the battery is truly exhausted, the computer is forced to shut down. At this point, with the safe sleep function introduced in the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) computers, the computer's memory contents have been saved to the hard drive. When power is restored, the computer returns itself to its pre-sleep state using the safe sleep image on the hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I searched and found info about the battery, if you guys dont knwo you shoudl try it.

I presume you dont know because noone who viewed replyed.

Welcome to the forums! :D

That is an incorrect assumption, as this issue has been asked and answered several times on this forum.
You hadn't even waited 30 minutes before you jumped to that conclusion as well. ;) It can take some time before someone actually reads your thread and knows the answers to your inquiries. :D

Instead of waiting for someone to answer, I would suggest that you utilize the search feature on this forum first, as almost anything you can think to ask as already been answered here. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
That is stupid. I never knew about that and now it's too late... it seems a bit excessive, much like keeping two hands at 10,2 on the steering wheel at all times. Had I known before I usd my mac, I still don't think I would have done it. There is nothing in the instructions that came in the box that says anything like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, this is pretty much standard practice for any rechargeable battery, especially one in notebook computers.
There is nothing in the instructions that came in the box that says anything like that.
Just so you know, there are instructions for battery use that start on Page 26 of the MacBook User's Manual.
MacBook User Manual: pg 27 said:
For
more information about battery conservation and performance tips, go to
www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html.
There are quite a few helpful links on the site referenced in the user manual.

All in all, you shouldn't have much to worry about. Enjoy your new MacBook! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
K well now I feel like a moron... go me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.