Are there as many mac games as windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Shadow said:
I wanna switch to mac but i wanna play games. Thanks for the help.

Well, the short answer is no, there really aren't as many of the popular games available for OS X as there are for Windows. Unfortunately, if you're switching to Mac as a gamer, you're probably better off sticking to a Windows machine. I don't play many computer games (I use PS2 and Xbox for any games that I play), but if I did, I'd have a PC for gaming and a Mac for everything else.

OP
S

Shadow

oo ok. thanks. in this case i wont switch. But the eMac looks awesome though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Shadow said:
oo ok. thanks. in this case i wont switch. But the eMac looks awesome though.

It is awesome. I would definitely suggest getting one, and just keeping your current computer for any games that you can't find for the Mac. You'll absolutely love the eMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
well, I hear with the introduction of Virtual PC 7(Soon) that it will support all of our 3d graphics cards....So...Theoretically you should be able to play all those games!....except..on a mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
The biggest price you pay when switching.. is that there is less games, but all the recent & decent ones like Call Of Duty, UT2004 etc have been ported

The eMac is awesome, I originally went to get one but got an iBook instead :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I just kept my PC for gaming, and use my Mac for everything else. PCs are so cheap and fast now days, it's pretty easy to just keep a spare around for games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Yea keep a PC for gaming. Mac and Gaming don't really 'gel' together for most games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
windows has tons more games, but mac has enough of the good ones.

but hey its why we have a console eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Graphite said:
but hey its why we have a console eh?

No, of course not. I enjoy gaming on a computer more than on a console connected to the TV. Maybe its 'coz I like FPS games and accuracy on a computer is better and games are more customizable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I usta be the same way... 19 years on computers gaming away... 1 year on a console and an xbox at that ;) and ive gotta say.. HALO rules on that beast.

OP
M

Mouse26

Sadly, the Mac is not a Gamers machine. It just isn't, it's not that they're not powerful, it's just that all we get is dodgy conversion that vary in their quality.

Virtual PC is dooooog slow (even on a G5 powermac) for games so don't even think about it!

Having said that, Unreal Tournament 2004 runs silky smooth even on a 12" powerbook and looks fantastic, so there's hope for us yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
90% of the games for Mac are worth playing, and are written well. The only good PC games are about 10% of their market. And we get about 90% of that 10%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I tend to agree with the console approach :)

OP
N

Nightblade

Yes, there are a lot of good games for Macs, but the selection still isn't GREAT. I mean, it's good, though, but there are still a lot of good PC-only games out there.

--Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games are for Macs (the guy himself was even a spokesperson for iLife '04!) :)

--Halo is for Macs :)

--Counter Strike aren't for Macs :(

--Grand Theft Auto games aren't for Macs :(

--Farcry isn't for Macs :(

--Battlefield Vietnam isn't for Macs :(

--GCN, N64, PSX, and PS2 emulators aren't available for Macs (they're barely available for PCs, actually, but still to a greater extent than for Macs) The only good PSX emulator for Macs is a cancelled one called Virtual Game Station, but all it does is take the place of a PSX, not the games. You still actually have to physically own the game so you can insert the CD. :(

So, these are just a few examples.

OP
R

rebz

depends what kinda gamer you are. i was a gamer and i switched over, right now i have wolfenstien (rtcw), quake 3, and ut2k4 all running on my mac. I used to be a huge counter strike player, but all in all, I can still play a ton of my FPS's on my mac, with no slowdown.

i've got a powerbook 1.5/1gb/128mb ati

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you liked counter strike, and have UT (the first one) there is a nice mod for it, and if you ask me.. its better. Tactical Ops

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.