Update to "Hopefully Soon...."

P

pcjabber

Hello all!

For now, I have decided to purchase an iBook G3, 700 or 800MHz, Combo Drive, until I can get the funds for a PowerBook. So, I will be joining the Mac Community soon! =) I need to know some things though:
1: Where can I get RAM for the iBook G3? I need a good, cheap source for it. I'd like to max it out to 640MB with a 512MB chip.
2: Is there anything that it won't run too well? I _need_ to run Photoshop, but nothing too intensive. However, will iMovie/iDVD work (i know, I can't burn DVDs, but i'll make an ISO and burn it with my PC.)? Also, any luck with GarageBand?
3: Airport cards. Where do you get them? I can't use Extreme cards, but I can use regular AirPort. Can you still get them thru Apple? How much?
4: I purchased a Linksys WAP54G Access Point on Sunday, and it works beautifully =)
5: Any accessories I should get for the 'Book?
6: What bookbag should I get for it? The guy I am buying it from includes a Targus bookbag, but I want to know if there's something better for pretty cheap?

Thanks!

PCjabber

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. Crucial is the best http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...ple&cat=RAM&model=iBook+(G3+800MHz)&submit=Go

2. Photoshop on a G3 might be a little sluggish. GarageBand on my 867 with 1gb of memory sometimes can not run multiple tracks. iMovie and iDVD can work but render times will be slow. I do not think you can save the DVDs in iDVD as an ISO file

3. You can still get Airport cards from apple. 80 dollars http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...606/wo/0X1IUgo0VfQc2tFIjp31YgBXIMe/0.3.0.5.10

4. Thats good

5. Don't have an iBook so don't know

6. Don't have a bookbag so don't know

OP
P

pcjabber

Thanks again for the replies. I (err, my mom) bought the iBook G3 700MHz, Combo, 12" on eBay tonight. Item number 4134320113 if you are interested. Now, to pay her back..... :( . Bye, bye, money ;) . But, in a few days (prolly more like a week or so), I will have an iBook. When I get it, I will ship it to a friend, who will install Panther and a few other things for me, and will put in my AirPort card, then ship it back to me. Only 256MB RAM for now, but when I can afford more, I will be maxing it out. And as soon as I can, HELLO PowerBook G4 (possibly G5 by that time.... ;))

Thanks for everyone's help!

Now, I am _officially_ a "switcher", though I can't completely switch. But my everyday tasks will _definately_ be performed on my iBook! =)

--PCjabber

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Welcome to Mac and the forum! When you get your Mac you will want to know how to maintain permissions and crons, or simply use Mac Janitor :)

OP
P

pcjabber

Yeah, I'm a UNIX geek, so I know all about cron, and those daily, weekly, and monthlies =)...

But it would be nice to know, in case it's different for Mac. Also, would someone PLEASE tell me how to get to a terminal window in Panther??? And is there any way to enable the root account, so I can log in as root, or SU to root, instead of sudo'ing?

Thanks =)

PCjabber

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
pcjabber said:
Also, would someone PLEASE tell me how to get to a terminal window in Panther???

Click: Finder --> Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal

:)

OP
W

wahdiatme

pcjabber said:
Hello all!
6: What bookbag should I get for it? The guy I am buying it from includes a Targus bookbag, but I want to know if there's something better for pretty cheap?

Thanks!

PCjabber

I dont have a bag, but what I do have is a sleeve. I got the computer sleeve from llbean.com. With shipping included it was only 23.50 and it protects really well. It also fits in my backpack i use for school so no one can tell that I even have a laptop. Its great..if that helps any :rolleyes:

OP
P

pcjabber

wahdiatme said:
I dont have a bag, but what I do have is a sleeve. I got the computer sleeve from llbean.com. With shipping included it was only 23.50 and it protects really well. It also fits in my backpack i use for school so no one can tell that I even have a laptop. Its great..if that helps any :rolleyes:

Thanks! I may just keep the Targus for now, or perhaps buy something else. I am going to get the Brenthaven or booqbag solution when I get my PB G4...maybe they have something a bit cheaper that will fit the iBook 12" fine?

--PCjabber

(BTW, love the avatar :cool: ;) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
pcjabber said:
Yeah, I'm a UNIX geek, so I know all about cron, and those daily, weekly, and monthlies =)...

But it would be nice to know, in case it's different for Mac. Also, would someone PLEASE tell me how to get to a terminal window in Panther??? And is there any way to enable the root account, so I can log in as root, or SU to root, instead of sudo'ing?

Thanks =)

PCjabber
Su to root is sudo, to log on as root - just enable root user, clear instructions in Mac help. Root = "other" in log on screen once that's done, and obviously you know not to be on line as root! :p :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
su and sudo are to different commands. su as in switch user is used in changing to another user id. Whereas sudo is used to give you root access for about five minutes.

OP
P

pcjabber

witeshark said:
Su to root is sudo, to log on as root - just enable root user, clear instructions in Mac help. Root = "other" in log on screen once that's done, and obviously you know not to be on line as root! :p :)

Thanks for the info. Of course, don't use root online, however, I use an insanely awesome firewall running on Linux on x86 -- Smoothwall. But I try not to anyway....

However on the su/sudo, as rman says below...

rman said:
su and sudo are two different commands. su as in switch user is used in changing to another user id. Whereas sudo is used to give you root access for about five minutes.

Exactly.
su = Switch User.
sudo = SuperUser DO.

OP
P

pcjabber

Ahh, and (multiple posts = more post count ;))...

I purchased my iBook last night. It is still showing on eBay.

Item no: 4134320113
Linky: eBay Item 4134320113

It is an iBook G3/700, with 256MB RAM (when I can afford it, that'll be maxed out), 20GB HD, Translucent white paint (not the opaque starting with the 800s), Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW), OS X 10.1.4 (that'll be upgraded immediately to 10.3.4), a Targus Backpack carrying case, and 12" LCD. He's shipping it tomorrow =)... And, as soon as I get it, I'll play with it for a little while, then ship it off to my friend in New York (he lives down here during the winter and spring) and he'll install Airport, OS 10.3.4, do hardware test, etc, etc....

I'm so happy, I could just....

*BURSTS OUT*

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm OK now... :rolleyes: :eek: :D :D

Just happy to be getting my first Mac with OS X :) :) :) :)
PCjabber

OP
P

pcjabber

Thank you! Unfortunately, I cannot completely switch. My customers all run Windows, so, I have to support that....but let them live in **** ;) However, I'll be running OS X, and keeping my desktop running Linux as much as I can. When I have to, I'll reboot, and boot into windows....Simple! Did I mention I run a Linux-based media center, and a FreeBSD-based server, and a Linux-based firewall? I am a UNIX geek.... :) :cool:

Oh, and I do like Windows for one reason:
because of the problems with it (spyware and viruses to name two), I get paid (to fix the problems) ;) :D

PCjabber

OP
T

tv-ma

Yes, I run all linux on my networks as well, :) *nix is good.. real good, however, I did just also purchase a powerbook, making that step towards desktop independence.. I have been running Linux on the desktop for about 4 years, just because I dont use M$, but I want a nice multimedia laptop with the power of *nix, why not get an apple now? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Fixing pc problems on other computers is kinda fun, knowing you naver have to do that on your own :)

OP
P

pcjabber

witeshark said:
Fixing pc problems on other computers is kinda fun, knowing you naver have to do that on your own :)
Especially when you're paid for it! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.