Is black really that exciting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic
Ok I've been thinking recently as most of my friends have been buying black MacBooks for school and saying "Aw yeah, dude its so worth the extra money to get it in black! It's so much cooler!" is black really that cool?

I have nothing against it, and I'm sure its just a preference, but if you think about it most laptops are already black. It's not like it's breaking any new ground by coming out in black, and it's certainly should not cost extra.

Thoughts anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0Ghz... new Intel
If you are going to get a new one for school, I would seriously consider holding out until like October. It has been rumored that they are going to have new macbooks out, that are 1/2 the weight and size of the ones now.

LINK

Hope that helps, and spurs so discussion.

-Xander

tam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz blac-book
My little bro had the white one before I bought mine. He said "I know you're not going to waste an extra 200 bucks on a black mac." I did and have no regrets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
I prefer the black one because I work in IT, in a totally windows enviornment. My boss is pretty cool about it and tolerates my MacBook, but asks me not to "advertise" it. He is afraid if people see IT using them a lot of people (execs) will start asking for them, then we have a support nightmare. The Black MacBook tend to "blend into" a Windows enviornment much better than it's white or aluminum brothers. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Macs would make a near-total (but for yours) Windows environment a nightmare?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450Mhz 1Gb Ram, iBook G4 1.2Ghz 1.25Gb RAM
dont no why you guys do it!!!!
The white is an apple trademark!!!!!
I was gunna get the macbook pro....
and i got a lil' 2nd hand ibook G4 12" for the meantime to get used to OS X (coming from windows)
and have purly fell in love with the size of the 12" and the looks people give you in public places wen using the white ibook...

White is the way forward!!!!
Black is just to blend in with the croud..
apple is ment to stand out of the croud!!!

So i switched my desision from macbook pro (which is silver and 15" at a min).. to white macbook (with 13" screen)..
also waiting till OS X leopard comes out in oct... pos for new macbook models.. *fingers crossed*

Reaction score
If you are going to get a new one for school, I would seriously consider holding out until like October. It has been rumored that they are going to have new macbooks out, that are 1/2 the weight and size of the ones now.

LINK

-Xander

nice one, i don't get my student loan till then so if there is a new one i'll be getting one. if not i'll go for the black macbook :D

Reaction score
Wow... good to know. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Ok I've been thinking recently as most of my friends have been buying black MacBooks for school and saying "Aw yeah, dude its so worth the extra money to get it in black! It's so much cooler!" is black really that cool?

I have nothing against it, and I'm sure its just a preference, but if you think about it most laptops are already black. It's not like it's breaking any new ground by coming out in black, and it's certainly should not cost extra.

Thoughts anyone?

Blackbooks are hot. If I were to get a Macbook, it would definately be black.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I prefer the black one because I work in IT, in a totally windows enviornment. My boss is pretty cool about it and tolerates my MacBook, but asks me not to "advertise" it. He is afraid if people see IT using them a lot of people (execs) will start asking for them, then we have a support nightmare. The Black MacBook tend to "blend into" a Windows enviornment much better than it's white or aluminum brothers. Just my opinion.

Sure, blends in like a Thinkpad, but has the bright Apple logo blazing away on the back of the screen. :Evil:

I have a white one, while I got my wife the black version. She was very happy I chose the black for her, and when my wife is happy, it's worth $150. They also have bigger disk drives, so really it's not quite $200.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
*shrug* they say once you go black you will never go back.. as far as im concerned you should get whatever color you like and forget what other people think or say.

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic
Electrical tape, maybe? ;D

Ha that somehow reminds me of that story where this dude's PS3 stopped working and he couldn't figure out why. Then his friend came and looked at it and saw that the guy had put electrical tape over all of the vents. When he asked why on earth he did that, his friend said "I take very good care of my PS3. I don't want any dust or dirt getting inside it." :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
Actually I keep a vinyl "Livestrong" sticker on the back of the display, Covers it up and the light from it entirely. Granted, it feels wrong covering it up but it allows me to keep my MacBook, so I don't really care as much.

T

todd51

Ha that somehow reminds me of that story where this dude's PS3 stopped working and he couldn't figure out why. Then his friend came and looked at it and saw that the guy had put electrical tape over all of the vents. When he asked why on earth he did that, his friend said "I take very good care of my PS3. I don't want any dust or dirt getting inside it." :D

Lol, that's funny

I would probably get a black one just because it's the high end model, especially if I had enough money for it. I don't think the black looks that bad and before you know it, you might be sitting a crowd with everyone having white Macbooks, then the person with the blackbook will be standing out!

I've been to my school library already this past year and once or twice, everyone around me had Macbooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Once I was on a plane, right before I was to order my first Mac, and I decided to go 'Mac hunting' in my Mac-obsessed pre-purchase rage. So I did, I saw bout 2 people using MacBooks and one guy using a BlackBook.

Picture this: You're on a 747, flying at night. You pass a guy using a black laptop, but all you can see is the light from the LCD in his face, and the white Apple logo on the back.

It looked REALLY cool in white, the logo I mean. It's just so cool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I got mine reconditioned where for the extra 50 you get the black and 40 gigs more hard drive space. Seemed worth it for only 50.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

LINK

-Xander

I hope that is untrue. I've had mine for a little over a month now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm not sure about the specifics, but the Macbooks are definitely due for an update in October.

I personally have a black Macbook and I absolutely love it. I couldn't imagine myself using the white one, the black is just so cool. Plus, now it matches my new iPhone :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.