Ordering on monday, questions and concerns

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
Hello everyone, the waiting is finally over, and I have my funds in place and i'm ordering my Macbook Pro on Monday. I'm really excited The main specs are MBP 2.4GHz, 160GB hard drive at 7200rpms, 2Gb ram, Nvidia 8600 256MB, matte screen... and so on.

I have a few questions and concerns that i've been noticing lately.

First the heat Issue. I've seen alot of complaints about the MBP overheating, and exccess thermal paste. It's almost frightening that i'm forking out a lot of cash that I've spent the last while working for and saving up for.

I do quite a lot of video editing, and picture editing. I will be running high ram consumming apps, at high speeds so I opted for the 7200rpms. Now this adds even more heat to the already hot computers.

Is there anything other than SMC Fan Control that will aid in the cooling of these computers. I will install that once I get the program and monitor the computer temps like a hawk. That thermal paste thread also was scarry, what if this happened to my comp? I wouldn't open it myself or anything. Could I take it into Apple to redo the thermal paste? ( like how would i know if this was the issue)

I'll also be ordering the clear speck case, and I know this has vents, but the plastic around will work as an isulator and keep the heat in I'd think.

I'm really really excited about this computer and i've been thinking of it non stop for almost half a year. I was so motivated to get this comp, I went out got a part time job during school ( going into gr12) and currently this summer I'm working 2 jobs to fill up my bank account again. So I want everything to go perfect and smoothly with this comp. I know these are amazing computers, and i will not be dissappointed, But these heat issues are starting to build up.

Thanks for your adivce

- Josh

Reaction score
Well, I have a MBP and also found the thermal paste thread scary. But mine is fine and it's around 40-50 deg C.

I think, if the one you get should be too hot, you can always go to a store, get it checked, replaced, ...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. There is always a solution for it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
I find that using smc fan control is enough in keeping the mbp at a tolerable level of heat. It's obviously going to be hottest when doing video/photo work, but I imagine that you'll be doing that kind of work on a desk with a mouse etc so you won't get that added temperature boost from working on your lap. Also when I use it on my desk I keep the back propped up with a book to allow the heat from underneath to dissipate and that seems to help a lot.

Reaction score
My advice is to try not to worry about the heat issue. I know it sounds easy enough to say, but otherwise when you get it you'll be feeling it every few minutes, checking the temperature constantly and looking for a problem that may not even be there.

Congratulations on your prospective purchase! I am certain you will love it and it'll be worth every penny. And if you do ever notice any issues, do not worry - they're fixable and the guys here are so helpful, you're well covered.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot guys. I feel a little better now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My advice is to try not to worry about the heat issue. I know it sounds easy enough to say, but otherwise when you get it you'll be feeling it every few minutes, checking the temperature constantly and looking for a problem that may not even be there.
Best advice ever regarding heat "issues". :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i would definitely recommend the glossy screen over the matte. thats just my opinion.

Reaction score
i would definitely recommend the glossy screen over the matte. thats just my opinion.

Thats the way i just ordered mine, what do you guys think the advantages/disadvantages of them are?

For those who are interested heres what i got:
15 Inch MBP
2.4 Ghz
2 Gigs of ram (soon to be made 4)
160 GB hard drive (the slower one to keep the heat down, and save some money)
Glossy screen
It came with a free Ipod nano (i got red to make apple pay $10 to african aids while giving me a free ipod) and a free hp all in one.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea i'm going Matte because I like it better. My sis laptop is a Toshiba and it's hella glossy. Plus I'm hooking up dual monitors and my other monitor is of course matte, so it'll work nice together. I also enjoy true colours. Still not 100% on the matte, but i'll take a trip to the apple store this weekend to compare again.

I'd be upping my 2GB to 3 or 4 later on.

Is the 7200rpms noticeably faster? and noticeably hotter? Because If it is, I'd be willing to not upgrade that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Good choice on the matte screen if you're doing a lot of video work. 7200 RPM HDD will also benefit you if you're utilizing the entire FCP Suite.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ITS BEEN ORDERED TONIGHT LIKE 5 seconds AGO!!!

Are the days that they predict shipping and arrival accurate?

Like I know nothing will happen until monday, but will I recieve anything by the end of the week perhaps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Usually apple will overshoot the date, to make you happy when it comes early.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.