• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Black and White

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.16 GHz 1gb Ram 250gb Hard drive, Macbook 1.83 GHz 2gb Ram 120 gb Hard drive
so i used toast 8 titanium to burn a movie i ripped onto a dvd. Everything went fine and it played great in both my macbook and iMac, but then when i let my girlfriend borrow it to watch it only plays black and white in her dvd player. I have tried 3 diffrent dvd players and the same thing happens in them all. Anyone have any idea what is causing this??

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.16 GHz 1gb Ram 250gb Hard drive, Macbook 1.83 GHz 2gb Ram 120 gb Hard drive
kno1 has any idea???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The only time I've seen someting like that was when my S-Video cable wasn't plugged in fully to the TV or DVD player. If a retail DVD plays fine to her TV, then I'm out of ideas. Do the Toast people have their own forms? If not, I'd at least report it as a bug if retail DVDs are working fine.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea its wierd because like you said retail dvds work fine...the first thing i did was check all the cables..idk im gonna look into it a little furthur...later today i am going to try to burn another movie and see is it does the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Did you use a rewritable disk? If so, perhaps just try a read-only disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.