How can I move only 300 songs to a new library?

Reaction score
Hi, this is probably a painfully easy request but I can not figure it out! All the guides seem to be for moving an entire library. I'd like to move roughly 300 songs out of my main itunes library and into a new library (I made by holding down option when starting itunes) for my daughter. I can not figure out the best way to do this! I'd like to preserve the album art since she just spent a lot of time manually adding much of it.

I don't understand how this works....when I try "add to library" or "import", I only see the files for the entire library and then would have to go through and select 200-300 artists? This doesn't seem right? Also isn't the album cover data in another folder? How would I move that for only certain songs? I assumed I would be able to see the new library on the left and simply select the songs in the main library (using control, shift etc to get them blue) and drag them into the new one but it's not there.

I am just stumped....any help would be greatly appreciated.

drums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Hi, this is probably a painfully easy request but I can not figure it out! All the guides seem to be for moving an entire library. I'd like to move roughly 300 songs out of my main itunes library and into a new library (I made by holding down option when starting itunes) for my daughter. I can not figure out the best way to do this! I'd like to preserve the album art since she just spent a lot of time manually adding much of it.

I don't understand how this works....when I try "add to library" or "import", I only see the files for the entire library and then would have to go through and select 200-300 artists? This doesn't seem right? Also isn't the album cover data in another folder? How would I move that for only certain songs? I assumed I would be able to see the new library on the left and simply select the songs in the main library (using control, shift etc to get them blue) and drag them into the new one but it's not there.

I am just stumped....any help would be greatly appreciated.

drums

I dont personally need the answer to this question, but i feel like there are others out there that wouldnt mind knowing... does anyone know if this sort of thing is possible>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'm assuming your using the latest version of itunes here.

Hmmm I'm a little lost by your post. There is only one library of music in itunes. It's called Music. At the top of the lst in the left side of itunes. you can't really edit that one that much. And all your custom lists of songs are called playlists. And are at the bottom of that list on the left side. And lists are like the library but only with the songs you want in them and you can customise these lists quite a but.

And the best way to move songs from the library into a play list is this.

1. Make a new playlist. By pressing the + button at the buttom left of the itunes screen.

2. Go to the maim library and Command (apple key) select all the songs you want in the new library.

3. With all those songs selected just select one of the congs by clicking on it and drag it right into the new playlist you just created on the left. And all the songs you selected will be there.

Yes you have select the songs one by one. But you can group your main lobrary by artist or whatever to make picking the songs you want to move easier.

And as far as I know the cover picture info is stored in the mp3 file itself. So move the song and the cover art is moved with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.