OSX install freezing on H.D.D. scan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.42 G4, 256 DDR 333, 80GB H.D.D. Radeon 9200, Mac Mini (first generation)
Recently the mac mini has not been starting up normally, (it froze in various parts of the installation) So, I inserted the Mac OSX Panther install DVD, and turned the mac on. It booted from the CD and loaded the installer application. When I agreed to teh license agreement, it came to a screen where teh H.D.D.s connected to the system were being scanned and shown. The 80 GB H.D.D. that came stock with the computer (This is a first-gen. Mac mini) showed up, but when I clicked on it to select "completely erase and install Mac OSX" since there had been a previous installatino of Panther on this) it scanned and never finished. The busy circle icon was spinnig and is still spinning for about 25 minutes, and nothing happens. THe mouse works, so the computer is not frozen, but the H.D.D. scan is not finishing.
Is this a problem with the Hard Drive, or any other component? and if so, is there any cure or remedy to this problem other than taking it to the Mac Guys or an Apple Store? Is tehre any way I can fix this problem without cahnging the H.D.D.? Thanks :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.