G5 Cooling Fans Excessive Noise

P

PhilipLeBlanc

Hi,

Thanks in advance for viewing / responding to my post. Here is my problem... On several occasions recently, my G5 1.6 (80GB HD / 1GB RAM / Latest updates applied) the fans in my computer start running at full speed creating a good deal of noise. The only way to quiet it, is to hold the power button down for a few seconds until the computer shuts down. Once I restart it, things are normal with the computer running silent. I don't think it is overheating as it is in my air conditioned home office and it shows no signs of overheating. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
My first move would be repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
witeshark said:
My first move would be repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions

witeshark, you just copy and paste don't you? This seems to be your answer for everything! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
After you're done wasting your time repairing permissions, make sure to head over to Apple's website and grab their "G5 fan sensor patch" software update. It addresses the issue of fans turning on too often, and too fast.

The way the fans work on the G5 is that they're supposed to gradually increase in speed, as the temperature increases. If they're suddenly cranking up to full speed, then you most likely have a damaged sensor, or sensor software malfunction (hence the patch).

One last thing, repeatedly holding down the power button to shutdown your system, is going to result in drive corruption. You're supposed to be choosing "Shutdown" from the Apple menu, and letting the system do a proper shutdown. Now that you've already done it a few times, I recommend immediately running an fsck on your drive.

OP
A

AdamTrevor

Any Help Please

I'm running OSX 10.4.6 on a G5 1.8 GHz PowerPC and have just run a File System Check (fsck) as my machine was running quite slow. During this proceedure the fan started to run fast and after the check had been done and the Mac rebooted, the Mac continues to run the fan at a high speed. Can you advise how I can overcome this. Also did a search on the Apple site for a G5 Fan Sensor Patch but it wasn't coming up with anything - do you know the web link for this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.