Playing .avi files in Quicktime?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Does anyone know which plug-in I need to be able to play .avi files in Quicktime? Whenever I try to play an .avi file in Quicktime it just plays with white picture and no sound. I can play these files fine in MPlayer but I would really prefer to be able to play them in Quicktime. Thanks!

Reaction score
VLC player is my choice also. It will play almost any video format out there. It also has a host of options that can't be found on quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
VLC is bloated and in the past has had memory leak problems.

QuickTime with the proper codecs can play just about anything you need.

http://perian.org/ should solve your avi problems. If you have any more issues just reply back and I will help you find whatever you are missing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There were several releases of VLC (I haven't use the past few) where if you left the program open or just played a few video files the program would eat a large amount of your memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.5 Ghz, 8 Gb Ram / iMac 27" 16 Gb Ram / MBP 2.16 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, iPhone 5, iPad Min
I personally don't like VLC. On your question, it will mostly depend on the codec (or type of compression) of the AVI file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I have the the correct codecs to play pretty much anything in QT, and it's what I use for short video clips... however I always find myself using VLC for longer (30min+) videos. It plays wmv and divx/xvid files much smoother than using QT.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.