MacBook Swap Out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
I'm somewhat convinced at this point that Apple will not do this, but I'm wondering if they purchase used equipment. They do sell refurbs as far as I know, so I'm wondering if those come from defective returns or sales from individuals.

What I'd like to do is upgrade to a newer MacBook or even the MB Pro. I need more hard drive space. I wasn't anticipating holding as much work as I have now, so when the MB came out, I only bought the 60GB hard drive thinking I'd keep my desktop. Bad idea. I need at least double that amount of space now, but I'd also like to retain all of my current items and work on my current MacBook.

Is there some way to transfer all of my work, docs and files, photos, songs, movies/tv shows onto a new MacBook?

Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't do trade-ins of any sort. You may want to check out Powermax.com's trade-in program.
It'd probably be cheaper just to buy a larger hard drive. I know you can transfer files to new hard drive, but recommend searching the forum more answers on that.

OP
diesel828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
Just got off the phone with Apple for anyone who is in a similar situation with mine. You're right, Apple does not buy or trade. My plan is to first find someone willing to buy my computer, then transfer all my stuff from my current MB to a new one via FireWire.

Now I have to decide on my needs and figure out whether I need a new MacBook or a MacBook Pro.

Thanks again and if anyone can give any tips or advice between the two new computers (i.e. what each would be more appropriate for, cost vs. value, etc.), I'd appreciate it.

OP
diesel828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've decided to buy the Macbook Pro 2.2GHz, 120GB HD model. I just finished transferring all of my files and such via Firewire to it.

I like my new computer a lot and am now selling my Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ouch, bought the new before selling the old, thatll cost ya :)

T

todd51

Well at least you bought the MBP so you get more like better graphics card, but I was going to say if it was just a matter of HD space, you should have just gotten a big external drive, but it seems now that you wanted more than just HD space.

Congrats on the new MBP, I wish I had the newer models with the better graphics card and more HD space. I have the older model from about a year ago.

OP
diesel828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It turns out I did want more than just hard drive space... and as far as buying the new before selling the old, well, it was much easier to transfer all the information this way, and it's not costing me that much. My brother just agreed to buy my Macbook from me.

This computer is great for anyone considering one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.