Scanning Slides

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have an elderly aunt that has a lifetime of slides. The slides are really awesome photographs that I'd like to preserve by scanning them and putting them onto CDs to give to family, etc.

Problem is, what's the easiest way to do that? I see companies like HP sell scanners with slide/35mm adaptors, etc. Do they work well? Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
The HP scanners are pretty nice. Although HP's hardware has been pretty flakey lately. I like the Canon stuff. They are an imaging hardware company ONLY, so you know that they would most likely produce adequate hardware. I had an HP scanner a long time ago, and it was realy slow, and the CCD ( I guess thats what it is ), was sorta "Burnt" on a corner so everything came out sorta yellowish in this one corner. At my last work, we had one of the top of line SCSI consumer models ( at that time )that came with all the adapters, and was really nice. But cost a lot.

All the slide adapter ( That I've seen ) is, is a frame that you put the slide in, and then you just put the frame into the scanner like a piece of paper. Just makes everything square.

There are also slide scanners out there. But I haven't looked into those too much. Your best bet is to get a slide scanner, spend a week or 2 scanning the slides, and then return it :). That's what I would do. Seeing as there really is no need for a slide scanner these days.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
A good slide scanner will also do negatives (which page scanners with an add on slide scanner are not as good at).

I would imagine your family has a huge collection of negatives hidden away as well.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.