• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Windows Movie Maker equivalent on Mac?..

Reaction score
Hi guys
Im gonna be one of the many switchers in a couple of weeks time & am getting 2 know more bout the Mac.
so to the question, was wondering what program you Mac pros use for movie making like those of Windows Media Mover Maker. I find that program quite laggy & inconvenient when come to trimming videos (took forever to trim a 20 minutes video into the 20 seconds part that I needed...*hates the dragging tool*).

thanks in advance.:D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
iMovie comes with your Mac, along with the rest of the iLife suite. In my opinion, iMovie makes Windows Movie Maker look like a tinkertoy.

OP
N
Reaction score
cool thanks..i should not worry bout this matter anymore then.
but is it easy to use for a basic user like me?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
cool thanks..i should not worry bout this matter anymore then.
but is it easy to use for a basic user like me?

I think so. Of course, Apple is famous for its user-friendliness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Windows Movie Maker is a pathetic complicated copy of iMovie IMO...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Windows Movie Maker slaps kittens. That's how bad it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I would not be worried about learning it at all. I have never ever messed with any kind of video editing, and was asked to do it for my aikido school. I did the whole thing in about 2 hours from start to finish. Very easy to just pick up and use!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
people who like to use the computer to edit home movies will all tell you that the ease of use and powerfulness of imovie makes their life much easier than when they used windows moviee maker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic
Windows Movie Maker slaps kittens. That's how bad it is.

haha. you are a good man sir.:D

So that's what that yelping was when I was using my friends Movie Maker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
haha. you are a good man sir.:D

So that's what that yelping was when I was using my friends Movie Maker

Yes it was. I hope you're pleased with yourself. Those poor kitties.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic
Yes it was. I hope you're pleased with yourself. Those poor kitties.

Maybe some poor slapped kitties is what it takes for Microsoft to realize they need a better video editing program :[

those cruel heartless beats

Reaction score
I can't even get my windows machines to identify my camera (exploder sees it but my editing software says there's no camera connected)... In premiere OR windows movie crapper. It takes some weird combination of plugging in the camera at the right time and then opening the program... But that seems to change on a regular basis. Then it FORGETS!?!?!!! By this I mean... If I do FINALLY get it to detect my camera to be detected by the software that uses it will DISCONNECT in the middle of a capture! Device control is completely useless! They even have my crappy sony handycrap's profile and does it work? NO! SCREW YOU MICROSOFT! (I tried it on all three of my windoze boxes. One had XP home, one with vista, one with xp media center)

I plugged in my video camera on my MBP, works with no problems the FIRST time, updated NOTHING. IT JUST WORKS. Captured my stuff into iMovie edited it... Boom... cool video.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to Mac, so please bear with me. I understand that imovie has a lot of features much better than Windows Movie Maker (WMM). One thing which I found which was missing in imovie (in comparison with WMM) is as follows:
In WMM, one can import an audio file and an image file and make a video out of them. Then this video can be published on video sharing sites like Youtube for example.

Is there a way this can be achieved using imovie?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
In WMM, one can import an audio file and an image file and make a video out of them. Then this video can be published on video sharing sites like Youtube for example.

Is there a way this can be achieved using imovie?

Usually you gain access to your pictures and audio via the media browser that knows about iPhoto and iTunes content. You can also just drag content via the Finder into a project window. If you wanted on picture to last the length of a 2 minute song, you would use the 'Video Adjustments" option on the image and adjust the Clip length to 2:00:00.

To share it to YT, you'd choose 'YouTube...' from share menu. Only YT is supported this way. For other sites, you export the movie and uploaded manually, usually via a web page interface at that site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.