RAM Confusion

Reaction score
I've got a 1ghz Powerbook G4 that currently has 512mb of RAM in one slot.

A few searches have suggested that I can upgrade to 2gb by removing the 512mb module and replacing it with two 1gb modules.

Although Apple says that only 1gb is supported by my PB, what happens if I add a 1gb stick into slot 2? Will it only recognise and use 1gb or will I see the benefits of 1.5gb?

Any help gratefully received.

Phil

Reaction score
You know I just got a 1ghz PB as well. All the research I did said I can only upgrade to 1gig using two 512's. It was PC2700.

Honestly I'm not sure if I jumped the gun by believing that info or not... one thing I know for sure is that it's really hard to figure out which PB you have when you have a 15" 1GHZ...

Oh and just an FYI I had a problem getting it to read the top stick... If you have the same problem I suggestion pushing the side with the fewer pins in first and then the other side. So it looks something like:

----- -------------------

So the smaller side first.

Reaction score
I swapped the top 256 for a 512 tonight. 30 seconds max and no issues.

I did try a friends 2 x 1 GB sticks and it will not work. Maxes out at 1 GB

there is very little it wont do or you will have a problem with when it runs it 1 gb ... chill out and relax. Computers send us up the walls for very little reason

OP
P
Reaction score
Cheers guys.

I've already got a 1mb stick so Im going to try putting it in anyway. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, so I added a 1gb stick to the PowerBook last night. Didn't realise how simple it would be. Took about 2 minutes at most!

System Profiler recognises the 1.5gb ok but does anybody know how I can see how much is actually being used? I read somewhere about an activity monitor, but I can't find it anywhere in Jaguar.

I'm upgrading to Tiger later today in a bid to make it run even smoother. If this has the activity monitor I'll report back on how much it uses to try and clear up the confusion.

Reaction score
Download a dashboard widget called "iStat Pro" it will tell you how much memory is active, being used, ect.

And btw, my 12" PowerBook maxes out at 640 MB of RAM so I feel your pain.

Anyway, goodluck and congrats on the new upgrade.

Reaction score
I just looked and although I think iStat is worth the download just because its a cool widget. There is an app called, "Activity Monitor" in Tiger that will give you the same info on your memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.