Apple Of My Eye?!

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am just getting into design work (adobe creative & flash) and really enjoying it. Now my company is going to invest in a laptop for me but have asked me the MAC or PC question? I have never used a Mac but am sure this is better for graphics, could anyone explain why?
The only real info i can find on the web is that they are better but i'd like to have a bit more than 'coz they are sir' when i put my case forward!
I know this is a real novice question but any help would be very useful.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hey Kerris, welcome to MF.

Well to start with I can assure you that a Mac will not "hang" on you if you get one that it sufficient for your needs.

There are alot of great applications out there for the mac and I just find that it is alot easier to organise stuff on your Mac. Like Photos, Graphics, Applications etc.

The ability to sync all you contacts, bookmarks etc. is great for work. (if you have a Bluetooth phone you can sync that too).

Mac OS X of course is a very stable operating system (and when I say that I mean today, unlike Windows).

Through my experiences with Mac laptops I have found that the battery life is significantly longer than any PC laptop I have used (obviously this shortens with time)

If there are any Windows programs that you feel you MUST use then you can run a virtual machine within Mac OS X with a program called vmware fusion (which is currently free, but will be about 40USD when the final version is released), there are of course other programs like this but I favour this one.

The ease of use is amazing, it is unbelievably easy to get everything up and running. Anything from finding and connecting to wireless networks to programming with Xcode is easy!

One last thing..... they're PRETTY!

;) Hope this helps you in some way ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I have never used a Mac but am sure this is better for graphics, could anyone explain why?

A long time ago in a publishing department far, far away....

Because back in the day the PPC chips were very efficient at creating vector gaphics and old old old Intel chips were not. Since most art,publishing,creative type departments were using Apple computers, they never bothered to switch back and continue using them, creating a myth out of what use to be fact.

Pretty much OS X or Windows can run any mainstream design program, until you get into CAD that is. Either or can do the same task just as well and it's basically a choice of preference. If you like OS X, buy a mac : If you like Winodws, buy a pc to run windows : If you must have both, buy a mac and run bootcamp.

-The End

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
A long time ago in a publishing department far, far away....

Because back in the day the PPC chips were very efficient at creating vector gaphics and old old old Intel chips were not. Since most art,publishing,creative type departments were using Apple computers, they never bothered to switch back and continue using them, creating a myth out of what use to be fact.

Pretty much OS X or Windows can run any mainstream design program, until you get into CAD that is. Either or can do the same task just as well and it's basically a choice of preference. If you like OS X, buy a mac : If you like Winodws, buy a pc to run windows : If you must have both, buy a mac and run bootcamp.

-The End

Thank you for busting that myth!

IMO, wether it is a Mac or PC doesnt matter. As long as the specs of the computer are sufficient, it would be fine.

However, I would pick the mac just beacause of how the OS works. None of the windows in any of adobe's products are enclosed within a larger window, basically meaning that you can see your desktop as you work. I prefer this scheme over the way Windows manages windows (by enclosing any sub-windows of a program into a larger window) because you can see what you have open o other programs while youre working on one (It can really help when youre multitasking and using many different apps at once, although it can get sort of disorienting)

I also like how OS C has features like Expose which again make it much easier to multitask by allowing you to switch between windows in a very efficient and intuitive manner.

Reaction score
To add what others have said, try stopping by a local Apple store and test driving an Apple laptop. You may like it or not. Even though some people like or love it, you might be of a different opinion. If you have any questions about anything, there are tons of good info here. Good luck with your purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.