Little disk drive looking things on desktop?

Reaction score
Hi,
Do these little icons that look like a white zip drive on my desktop, can they be deleted? I seriously have some clutter on my desktop and need to know if I can get rid of them. They seem to appear after I install a program, there's some called Photoshop CS, Quicktime, etc.
I also have another problem - I installed MS Office, and somehow it appeared as a Volume and it says "900GB" (not real number, just an example) - this appeared next to the hard drive when I was attempting to install another program which asked me which Volume I wanted to install it to?? Can I delete this ms office volume, or what? Any help, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
brooklyn,

Those are disk images (.dmg). You can delete them after the install is completed. Just send them to the trash.

Reaction score
Those are mounted images, if you drag them, notice how the trash can turns into an eject symbol. The actual disk image files are where you keep your downloads.

So the job is twofold:

1. Eject the "white zip drives" by dragging the to the trash.
2. Delete the downloaded disk images (they look like a paper page with a metal hard disk on them).

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. I tried deleting the one that said Azerus (sp?), and it said, "Program is in use, please close and try deleting again." Or something like that.

Any advice on the MS Office volume problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
Hey brooklyn I was havin' the same problem... any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
How installations work on Mac OS X:

You get a DMG file (disk image).

When you open the DMG file, it will "mount" as a Volume, a.k.a. a Drive.
Mac OS X will display mounted drives on the Desktop,
and also in the Sidebar of Finder windows and in the "Computer" folder (which bears the name you gave the Mac).

Inside the Volume will be either:

1) the application itself, a.k.a. an APP file
in this case: Drag the application out of the Volume to copy it to your hard drive, preferably to the Applications folder.
But remember, do not open the application inside the Volume.
Visual guide: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49528&p=414740

2) an installer, a.k.a. a PKG file
in this case: Run the installer.

Regardless of whether it's case 1 or case 2, you then eject the Volume.

tons of way to do that:

-Drag the Volume to the Trash in the Dock. (the Trash will turn into an Eject icon)
-Right-click the Volume and select Eject.
-In a Finder window's Sidebar, click the Eject symbol next to the drive.
-Select the Volume, and press Command E. (Command = the "Apple key")

Thanks. I tried deleting the one that said [Azereus], and it said, "Program is in use, please close and try deleting again." Or something like that.

As mentioned above, the Volume is basically the DMG when it's "open."

If you can't delete the DMG, it's most likely because the Volume is still mounted; thus the DMG is being used.

After you eject the Volume, the DMG should be deletable, though you can choose to keep it "in case."

Summary:

-eject Volume
-delete or keep DMG

(Maybe I should've just posted this instead. ;p )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
woot remain>paid course ;)

what do you mean by "in case" though? of what?

-.- I just ejected my Microsoft Messenger volume and now the program is gone... the shortcut on my dock has a question mark on it... What did I do :(

M

MacHeadCase

It's simply because the program was not installed properly. Once the mounted disk appears, you need to grab the app icon and drag it to your Applications folder. Then eject the mounted disk. The real program is now in your Applications folder, the other one in the mounted disk was just an installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, makes sense. Heh, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
I guess I wasn't thorough enough then. XD

The real program is now in your Applications folder, the other one in the mounted disk was just an installer.

Well, technically, it's not an installer; it's an actual copy of the app. ;p

But sure, I guess you could think of it as an installer... an installer copy. ;p ;p

what do you mean by "in case" though? of what?

Well, I keep all my DMGs in case I somehow lose/delete a program, or perhaps I update to a newer version of a program and the older version is actually better, etc. etc. etc.

Bah, I play it safe. XD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.