BitTorrents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
Hey Guys,

I've been downloading bittorrents using BitTorrent, but I'm not happy with the results. For some reason most of the torrents never leave 0% or download VERY slowly. Anyone know a good program instead of BitTorrent for the mac, or a way to fix my problem?

Thanks ;)

-chontos

Reaction score
It sounds like you haven't forwarded the ports on your router. Find the port forwarding setup in your router and open ports 6881-6889 (default, unless you changed it) to allow Bittorrent traffic to pass through.

Bittorrents. Serious Business.

OP
Dodger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was Greek to me... oh wait, I am greek -.-

Haha but I don't understand what to do... I'm new to this whole mac and torrents thing... Mind giving detailed instructions? That would be awesome :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
OP
Dodger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to get azureus but I think it may have been sold to a different company because it's completely different than what my friend has had for the past few months... go to the site and see for yourself if you want.

any way you can send me the setup file of the original?

OP
Dodger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slow Transfers!

Hey again,

So I've been experiencing VERY slow transfers - most won't even finish - on MSN when sending or receiving files from my friends... I tried sending to another mac user and there isn't much difference...

I also have VERY terrible BitTorrent rates which is my main worry right now...

can anyone help?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged common/cross posts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16 GHz
You should try using Transmission. It's what I use and it has never given me any problems..

Reaction score
I tried to get azureus but I think it may have been sold to a different company because it's completely different than what my friend has had for the past few months... go to the site and see for yourself if you want.

any way you can send me the setup file of the original?

The design of Azureus has changed in the last few months. Looks like they went to a flash version of it.

As for the problem, do you have a NAT indicator? If it's not at least yellow its more than likely that the ports on your router are not forwarded properly (if you have one).

If you do have a router, go to www.portforward.com and find your router in the listing, then find the torrent program within the program list. It will show you the instructions on how to forward ports.

OP
Dodger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you do have a router, go to www.portforward.com and find your router in the listing, then find the torrent program within the program list. It will show you the instructions on how to forward ports.

I tried doing this but I have no idea what my default gateway is and I don't feel like calling my ISP to find out DNS numbers. I wish it wasn't so complicated to download a stupid cd.

Transmission works like a charm, however!

Thanks for all your helps guys, appreciate it.

-chontos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
I find that when downloading torrents, if the seed:leecher ratio is about 2:1 or greater downloads are generally faster

OP
Dodger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I just started paying attention to that... never occured to me that maybe there weren't other owners connected -.-

Reaction score
I tried doing this but I have no idea what my default gateway is and I don't feel like calling my ISP to find out DNS numbers. I wish it wasn't so complicated to download a stupid cd.

Transmission works like a charm, however!

Thanks for all your helps guys, appreciate it.

-chontos
If you have a router, your router is the default gateway. (usually 192.168.0.1)

Which internet service are you using?

OP
Dodger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Telus... it's based out of British Columbia, Canada.

Reaction score
Telus... it's based out of British Columbia, Canada.

i don't suppose you have a PC running as well in your network? If so, you can get the DNS server information by doing an IPCONFIG /ALL.

Tried to find out how to do it on a Mac and it doesn't provide the DNS... so far as i know ;)

OP
Dodger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I don't :(

Maybe one day when I'm bored and feel like getting my money's worth from this internet monopoly they call Telus, I'll call and make them tell me step by step :p

Thanks, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.