Buy MacbookPro now or wait for Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic
Hey guys, I'm new here, but I have a question...

Right now I have an iMac and an old 12 inch powerbook G4, and I'm looking to upgrade to a Macbook Pro so I can have the faster processor, more memory, bigger screen etc.

Do you think it is better to
A) Buy a MBP now and get the $200 student rebate, and then buy Leopard separately when it comes out?

B) Wait till October when Leopard comes out and most likely a new line of MBP's and get one then, risking getting the bugs that come with 1st gen laptops?

or C) Wait for the second generation of Leopard laptops with all the bugs worked out, and possibly the multi-touch function in the touchpad like rumored on engadget or tuaw?

See, I don't want to be impatient and get something now when something even better and possibly cheaper will come out in a few months, but i also don't want to wait too long.

Opinions anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipod video 30 gb/ Macbook Pro 2.2...... iphone up next i know
Just buy it now especially if you need a computer now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Are bugs a certainty? If so, are the bugs going to be something that would hamper enjoyment of your new MBP?

U should pull the trigger, and get a MBP this weekend. Nothing says "Happy Birthday America" more than purchasing a new Mac!

...buy one now...

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are bugs a certainty? If so, are the bugs going to be something that would hamper enjoyment of your new MBP?

U should pull the trigger, and get a MBP this weekend. Nothing says "Happy Birthday America" more than purchasing a new Mac!

...buy one now...

Ha ha. you are a good man sir. I don't quite have the money yet, but perhaps I will soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Ha ha. you are a good man sir. I don't quite have the money yet, but perhaps I will soon.

TY. But there are credit cards... you don't want to die with a good credit score do you? Where's the fun in that!?

I'm w/you though, no money = no honey (MBP).

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TY. But there are credit cards... you don't want to die with a good credit score do you? Where's the fun in that!?

I'm w/you though, no money = no honey (MBP).

Yeah I prefer paying cash. It's cheaper in the end that way.

Reaction score

Right now I have an iMac and an old 12 inch powerbook G4, and I'm looking to upgrade to a Macbook Pro so I can have the faster processor, more memory, bigger screen etc.

A) Buy a MBP now and get the $200 student rebate, and then buy Leopard separately when it comes out?

B) Wait till October when Leopard comes out and most likely a new line of MBP's and get one then, risking getting the bugs that come with 1st gen laptops?

or C) Wait for the second generation of Leopard laptops with all the bugs worked out, and possibly the multi-touch function in the touchpad like rumored on engadget or tuaw?

See, I don't want to be impatient and get something now when something even better and possibly cheaper will come out in a few months, but i also don't want to wait too long.

Opinions anyone?

I think that you shoudl go ahead and buy one now to be honest!
I often thought the same thing when buying iPods/Macs.

The bottom line is, if we all put off buying because we are waiting for the next "new thing" to come out, then most of us wouldn't have a mac and we wouldn't be here talking about them.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
"Second line of Leopard laptops (No bugs)"?

That option doesn't exist. Unlike with Vist....a competing operating system, it won't have bugs.

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Second line of Leopard laptops (No bugs)"?

That option doesn't exist. Unlike with Vist....a competing operating system, it won't have bugs.

OHohoho well played sir. Do you recall the overheating and discoloring macbooks? and there was something wrong with the first gen mbp's i think. i can't remember.

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that you shoudl go ahead and buy one now to be honest!
I often thought the same thing when buying iPods/Macs.

The bottom line is, if we all put off buying because we are waiting for the next "new thing" to come out, then most of us wouldn't have a mac and we wouldn't be here talking about them.

;)

Ha ha. This is true sir. But don't worry, I have 2 other macs so I can still talk about them :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipod video 30 gb/ Macbook Pro 2.2...... iphone up next i know
what other macs do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED

Opinions anyone?

On top of the $200 student discount you get a free iPod Nano or put the $229 towards a higher end iPod if you wish.

It's a good deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
OHohoho well played sir. Do you recall the overheating and discoloring macbooks? and there was something wrong with the first gen mbp's i think. i can't remember.

We have some confusion here. Assuming that the laptop lines will be updated with the release of Leopard (which, btw, is nowhere near certain), those updated laptops will not be "first generation" products, but continuations of the current lines, unless Apple brings out something radically new (and given the recent iPhone development, I don't find this likely). A new opperating system does not make any updated hardware "first generation". Any bugs with Leopard will be corrected swiftly via Software Update, I fully trust.

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have some confusion here. Assuming that the laptop lines will be updated with the release of Leopard (which, btw, is nowhere near certain), those updated laptops will not be "first generation" products, but continuations of the current lines, unless Apple brings out something radically new (and given the recent iPhone development, I don't find this likely). A new opperating system does not make any updated hardware "first generation". Any bugs with Leopard will be corrected swiftly via Software Update, I fully trust.

Egads! this is true :\

Ah well, looks like I'm leaning towards buying it now anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4ghz; 4gb ipod nano; dell axim x51
I bought now because I need it for college in mid august but leaopard will only be $150 so it's not bad. I would have bought it now even if I didn't need it right away, I love this machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah I prefer paying cash. It's cheaper in the end that way.

Not to me. I use my Amex, pay it off every month so there's no interest and I get 5% cash back. So I make money off using it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
I bought now because I need it for college in mid august but leaopard will only be $150 so it's not bad. I would have bought it now even if I didn't need it right away, I love this machine.

Actually, Leopard will only be $130. I think it might only be $69 for students- can someone confirm this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.