iBook + games?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1GHz ibook, 20 gig 4G ipod
Hi all,

Ordered a new 12" iBook last week which is due for delivery this week along with another 256 of RAM just ordered today from Crucial.

My question is what games can the iBook handle? On my PC I generally play FPS games and since my PC is a decent spec it plays them well. However as alot of PC users turning to the Mac world, I'm tired of all the little bugs (sound going fuzzy, random reboots, etc). So, I'm only after 1 or 2 games really as I don't game that much now-a-days due to work/family/no time/etc.

Do you think that Raven Shield & Medal of Honour would play ok? Spec will be 1GHz, 512MB, Radeon 9200 mobility.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
Ravenshield plays fine on my 1.2 768MB ram so do other games like UT2004, AVP, AVP2, Quake 3, UT :)

T

tekno_geek911

Your new iBook will handle just about any game...I run Halo and Unreal 2004 on my 12" 1GHz PowerBook(768MB,32MB NVidia Go5200) with no problems....The Radeon 9200 handles games very well(use to have a 14" iBook G4 933)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1GHz ibook, 20 gig 4G ipod
Cheers for the reply. Got Americas Army working, only 20 - 30fps though....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to energy saver then turn processor speed to highest to get more FPS.. it works :D

make sure its on power or battery depending on what you are using at the time

T

The Giver

Practically most games, just go to the Mac store and they have a good selection.

V

()verBored

Try No One Lives Forever 2, or Return To Castle Wolfenstein. Both are a bit older, but run great, and are great games, especially NOLF2! Plus, they both cost 20 bucks at your local COMPUSA. I get tired of 50 buck game purchases ;)

I also play Warcraft (a game I never played much for PC), and it runs well. I am downloading Call of Duty. Overall, I expected my Ibook to do poorly with games, but in the end, it's not too shabby!

Games I found "unplayable": Command and Conquer: Generals, well that's it. I haven't tried HALO, or UT2004 though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Okay, Ut2004 plays on ibooks? On barefeats it says ibooks get less than 20fps on ut2004, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It runs on iBooks and i get playable FPS 30-40 :) does me

D

d4rr3n

To run any modern games you'd have to turn down the graphics all the way. Which kind of defeats the purpose of playing modern games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
!?!?! i play on 1024x768 with everything at normal

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

not that you would know, it does it quite well actually :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I just know I'll find that stone bridge here. Everyone who games on iBook that I have heard from had no problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you don't own a mac right... so how do you know it won't play well unless everything is turned down? you are making that macs are incapable of doing it... mine does and i can record my screen with my digi cam as proof :D etc

i can play it at 30-40fps... everything full at 800x600 or normal at 1024x768.. even at full but i play with hundreds of mutators or mods on (which are quite big)

i thought its impressive for 32mb RAM and all i hear is macs can't do this or that all over here very recently there has been a great increase :(

also i am sure ones with 64 mb and above will be even better :D

D

d4rr3n

Graeme43 said:
you don't own a mac right... so how do you know it won't play well unless everything is turned down? you are making that macs are incapable of doing it... mine does and i can record my screen with my digi cam as proof :D etc

i can play it at 30-40fps... everything full at 800x600 or normal at 1024x768.. even at full but i play with hundreds of mutators or mods on (which are quite big)

i thought its impressive for 32mb RAM and all i hear is macs can't do this or that all over here very recently there has been a great increase :(

also i am sure ones with 64 mb and above will be even better :D

I am saying this not because of the mac. It is because i know what the radeon 9200 is capable of, wether it be in a pc or a mac. The original poster was asking about how well a 9200 would do in modern games. Dont assume everything is addressing you or attacking your precious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Next revision of the iBook should see a 128mb Radeon 9200 I've heard. That would be swell. Maybe the next revision of Powerbooks will have PCI Express, and support an x600 mobile. And the 12" will start with a default 9700m. That would be great for me :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that would rock :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.