Stupid Photo Booth Question

Reaction score
im a new mac user, and i just ran into a little dumb issue with photo booth that i know is going to be easily fixed with some help.

i tried starting the program and i get an error saying that another program is using the camera, and that i need to close it before using photo booth. simple, but i cant figure out for the life of me which program is using the camera. at first i thought it would be msn messenger, but i closed it and the program still arises.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
MSN Messenger for Mac does not support the camera feature as far as I know (unless there is a plug in you can install), do you have Skype or something similar?

Also, when you say closed are you quitting the program so that it no longer has a small arrow beneath it on the dock or are you just crossing the program window off? If you are just crossing the window off then the program is not closed and so potentially could be using the camera still.

Try making sure that everything in your dock that can use the camera is closed fully, then start Photo Booth and see if you get the error still.

Hope this helps,

Chris. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
I had this problem for a while. The green light next to the camera would come on at system boot up and never go off. It meant no other program could use the camera. It went away after a few updates and hasn't happened since. I don't know what caused it. I can only say reboot!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.