Stereo Output Problem

Reaction score
I just bought a macbook a week ago, and i absolutely love it, but im having one issue when trying to output to my stereo.

my stereo is a small sony "compact disc desk receiver" - good size for my desk in my room. when i plug in my headphones, everything sounds fine, so its not the input. i plugged it in to the "md" slot using an output chord that came with my mp3 player for the tv. (it has the red, white and yellow ends. i have the red one and white one plugged in to the correct parts of the stereo)

so when i plug in to my macbook and turn the stereo on to the MD function, i get a buzzing noise and you can barely hear anything from the laptop.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance.

tam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz blac-book
Can you post the model no. for your stereo so I can see what you're working with?

I use a Y cable like this [1 mini to 2 male]:
4117672_sa.jpg

Works for me, but I am using a HT receiver.

tam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz blac-book
Have you tried plugging in the mp3 player to the stereo to see if that works? If all else fails, just hit up the store for the mini to analog cable. Like the one pictured.

I think the one you have is one that is meant for port. dvd players and MP3 players and split the signal sent through it differently.

OP
B
Reaction score
ive been using my mp3 player with it for a while now, and its been great.

ill just go out and buy myself one of them there cables.

thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.