Storing iTunes Data on iPod Only??

Reaction score
Hi guys... i'm new to the forums...

I've been trying to find a way to store the music in iTunes on my iPod only...and still to be able to play back through iTunes, add more music etc...

This is obviously to save space on my Macbooks HD.

Anyone know if this is possible or if we could create a way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Set your music management to manual in the iPod.

Reaction score
This is very easy to do. As trpnmonkey41 says, configure your iPod to manually manage music. You do this by connecting your iPod to your mac and then highlighting the iPod in iTunes. You'll a summary tab where you can check a box that says "Manually manage music."

Once you've done this, highlight Music just below the iPod icon. iTunes will now display the entire music library for the iPod. Simply play these songs the same way you would play songs on you HD.

Enjoy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hi guys... i'm new to the forums...

I've been trying to find a way to store the music in iTunes on my iPod only...and still to be able to play back through iTunes, add more music etc...

This is obviously to save space on my Macbooks HD.

Anyone know if this is possible or if we could create a way?

While this has been answered, it is also a very bad idea.

If your iPod goes belly up and needs to be returned, replaced or repaired because it has stopped working, ALL of your music is gone. If your iPod simply needs to be restored within iTunes, all of your music is gone as well.

Hard Drives are cheap, buy one and back up, then rely on your iPod.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.