Multimedia Database... how to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
I want to make a database of all my music? Any simple programs that will help me do that besides just putting them in a word or text document?

I have three ways to store my media. One on my iMac, one on my portable hard-drive and then on CDs. I want to make a database program that works like this:

Title - Album - Location

Any ideas?

Reaction score
hmmm... I like that question :) me, as a geek, I would probably get a mac mini, install a webserver and a mysql database on it and do some stuff with php. front-end and back-end:

back-end adds songs to the DB (you can do so many cool things with php to browse whole folders and hds,....) and you can even have many tables for the genres, descriptions, ratings, aso.

the front-end would be there to search for songs. you cound find certain songs, look for genres, highest ratings,...

The possibilities are endless :) Man, I would have so much fun doing that. and if you have a permanent internet connection, you could forward a certain port form your router to your mac mini and you can access it from anywhere.

Ok, sorry, I stop now :D

Edit: All that you can do on your iMac as well - I just think it's more fun on a separate machine ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I really hate to say this, but...

You could use Excel or another spreadsheet such as what is found in OpenOffice or NeoOffice which I beleive also has a database modules.

You could search for 'database' on Versiontracker.com and see what might meet your fancy. With a few more words in the search box, you might find something more exacting to your needs.

I'm with dekan on this one as I like reinventing the wheel sometimes. And of course there is this hot new iPhone you could developer for.

Of course, you could look into Delicious Library too. I'm not sure if there is a way to handle 'location' though.

OP
JeffreyLloyd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AppleWorks 6 had a database program

4r961r8.png

It's kind of old, I've been messing around with it and will look at Open and Neo Office.

OP
JeffreyLloyd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I downloaded NeoOffice and I didn't like the cluncky database program. So I just did the easy way out and used NeoOffice's word program. I'm happy with it since it loads a lot faster then Word for Mac.

6cnj7v4.png

Thanks for the help guys!

Reaction score
I wanted something similar for my DVD collection but I didn't want to build it. I found this product ($19.99) and it is the most comprehensive application to date. They have databases for movies, games, music and books. I highly recommend as they come with a lot of features including customizable fields and data that is downloadable from the Internet. Here is the link to their website:

http://www.bruji.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.