Does the iTrip or other iPod Car Adapters work with iPhone?

Reaction score
I have a Griffin iTrip that I've used for quite awhile with my standard video iPod. I now have a iPhone and tried using it. The good news is it charges it so I don't have to purchase a car charger for the iPhone but it doesn't seem to play through to the stereo. Of course the iPhone has it's own speaker but is it possible to get it to play through any of these car adapters? I was hoping it's as simple as changing a setting somewhere on the iPhone. If not maybe someday they will come out with models which support the iPhone if that's possible.

Reaction score
u know what would work.. on of the FM transmitters that only have a 3.5mm headphone, not the ones that connect to the bottom of ipods.

nevermine, just tried my belkin one and it won't fit into the jack!!!

FRICKIN APPLE!! i'm soo disappointed with this thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IPhone
I have an Alpine CDA-9856 to which I have connected iPods in the past using an Alpine KCE-422i iPod Control Interface Cable

This allows you to control and charge the iPod, not just do playback.

So I figured what the heck and connected my iPhone to it.

You immediately get the incompatible message asking you to put the phone in airplane mode.

I tapped "no" and the iPhone began pouring out great music through my head unit.

But wait there's more!

When I get a phone call, the iPhone's ringer comes through my car's speakers.

Also, the music fades, then pauses.

When you end a call, it unpauses and fades back to original volume.

Same deal when you make a call.

And it charges the iPhone too.

Except for the initial incompatible message, this set up works flawlessly.

Reaction score
All the iPod toys I have work just fine ie:car charger, desktop speaker but the only thing is it always gives me the pop-up "this item was not designed for use with the iPhone" my guess is this is to get you to purchase all new stuff that's "iPhone compliant"

HAHA! I'm on to you Steve Jobs! You clever genius you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.