How is the g4 1.33 compared to a pentium M?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" bmb, coreduo,2gb,80gb
the problem is my budget is ~1600 plus a few. the 15" powerbook stats at 1800. so a 12" powerbook or a 14" ibook would have to do to fit the budget. an i book i wouldnt mind..but i would be doing video editing flash photoshop etc. this will be my first laptop cause iv always made my desktops.

heh and thats why im asking before i buy :)

L

lzasitko

battery life

I have a 12" 1.33ghz Powerbook. I have pretty good battery times at around 4.5 hrs. It does depend on what you are doing, with the cd or hard drive going it can chew battery time pretty quick.

To maximize battery life turn off bluetooth and airport if you do not need then and teun the screen brightness down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
There is no way around the fact that faster processors will use more power, maybe we are not in such a hurry to get a G5 Powerbook after all :p

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ya iv been reading from here and macrumors forum..peop0le who have the 12" have gotten 4.5 hrs battery. bluetooth will always be off cause i dont need it same with airport, the only time i would need it is in my house or at the college library

edit: also i assume i can add more usb ports by getting an additional card to put in correct? or is 2 the only amount i can have..

cause im looking at this: 1 external dvd burner (make one for cheaper and faster but not portable) 1 usb storage key. mini ipod (either usb or firewire..either or) digital camera takes a usb port. so thats roughlky 4 but 2 will be in there at all times(mini ipod and dvd burner) also my printer so 3 usb ports will be used at all times

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Ezekel, if you get a digital camera, get one with a firewire port. Same thing with the DVD burner. On the firewire chain you can connect up to 127 devices. Most firewire devices come with two firewire ports, except for the camera. You will place the camera on the end of the chain.

If you need more usb ports, you can purchase a usb hub.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how would you chain the firewire devices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Its like this
You plug in the DVD Burner into the Computer
Most burners and External HDs have another Firewire port on it
You plug in your next device into that port on the Burner and so on and so on

You can pick up a USB hub which plugs into one of the USB ports and usually has 4-7 ports on it for you to use

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah gotcha :)

well my digital camera is usb (canon s410) printer is usb so i really cant change that.

thanks for all the information guys :)

L

lzasitko

usb and firewire

The USB and Firewire ports are hot pluggable so you can unplug the camera or printer at any time. I only plug my digital camera in when I want to transfer pictures to the portable. After you plug it in there will be what looks like a drive icon on the desktop, this will be the storage card of the digital. Once you are finished you eject it by dragging the icon to the trash. Once it is gone it is safe to unplug it. If you do not eject it first you will get a warning that unplugging it may cause damage to files.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ya the digi cam wouldnt stay plugged in but the printer would. i think it should all work out..now all i gotta do is finish selling my pc and then buy a powerbook :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Ezekel said:
Ill be taking c++ next yr for college(second yr now) and highy think that there is no c++ program for apple.

Direct from the Apple page

Developer’s dream
Mac OS X is the only high volume operating system that provides world-class developer tools to everyone. Xcode is the fastest way to create Mac OS X applications, using your choice of Objective C, C++, C, AppleScript or Java. Combining a groundbreaking user interface with an all-new, high-performance toolkit that includes gcc 3.3, Xcode makes it easy to take advantage of the latest technologies from Apple. In fact, developers have already released over 10,000 titles for Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
A couple quick answers to your questions:

I used to have a Dell laptop with the mobile chip, and I can safely say that my 1.33 GHz Powerbook is faster.

As for C++, you can either program straight in the terminal and compile using GCC, or you can use XCode, Apple's incredible C++ developer front-end. It's basically like Visual Studio, except it doesn't suck. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
citystar2k said:
Just found out that NTFS can be read by OSX, but it's read only, so hopefully i can transfer all my video footage onto my powerbook, reformat the external hard drive and transfer it all back.

wishful thinking this is,the reformatting has gone all wrong, and i dont know why.

M

mac_donalds

Megahertz Myth

Ezekel said:
hi

Sorry for my lack of apple knowledge (soon to be learning) but i am also thinking about switching from a pc to a powerbook. After browsing and some much reading, i decided to ask this...how would a g4 1.33 par up to a say a 1.6 pentium M? I remember reading in a thread that a 867 was higher than a p4. I was configuring both windows and a 12" powerbook out and really torn between them.

Also another concern was windows emulation. Ill be taking c++ next yr for college(second yr now) and highy think that there is no c++ program for apple. So how does the emulation actually work? im still kind of unsure of how the emulation would work.

Thanks for all your help

edit: also iv read from the 12" specs that it only has 2 usb 2.0 and 1 firewire. is this true?

edit: also i have an external hdd with all my videos and music and i would have to convert that to support mac format right? would i have to lose all my files or is it just a matter of changing format (like fat32 to ntfs)

Have a look at this move that explains the Megahertz myth. It is a large file so people on dialup will have probs viewing it.

http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/mhz_myth_320f.mov

mac_donalds

M

Mouse26

I bought a 12" Powerbook and batter life is about 4.5 hours. I got 3.5 hours solid Unreal Tournament 2004 on it which is about as processor intensive as you can get.

I'm wondering if the people with poor battery life properly configured their batteries first? You really have to harge them fully, then drain them fully upon first use to "acclimitise" the battery, otherwise it never charges to full capacity.

M

MoltenLava

Allow me to add my $0.02 worth.

My main computer was Sony VAIO Z1 laptop. It's a nice machine with Mobile Pentium, Centrino, 1400x1000 display, etc, etc. I am writing this post on my new Powerbook G4 1.3GHz. (actually my wife's, but I'm stealing it tonight). In short, Powerbook wins hands down.

Sony has longer battery life (3 vs 2.5 hours), and that's the only advantage I can think of. Powerbook is more elegant, refined, cute, handsome, nice, lovable, and cuddly. The keyboard is GREAT! This is by far the best keyboard I've used on a laptop, and I've been through a lot of laptops including IBM, HP, Toshiba, and Sony. Windows XP is nice, but Panther is breathtaking! Powerbook is a bit more expensive, maybe around 10%. But IMHO Powerbook is a lot more value.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Also worth noting just heard this at the Apple store is that the power use for say watching an in flight DVD can shut off all other functions and dedicate power to the DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
witeshark said:
Also worth noting just heard this at the Apple store is that the power use for say watching an in flight DVD can shut off all other functions and dedicate power to the DVD

That's right, i managed to get four dvds watched on two batteries, so four hours out of a battery is quite good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.