• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Gen 6 iPod to sport OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There is report on iLounge, originally from ARS, that talks about the next iPod sporting an iPhone like version of OSX:

According to a report by Ars Technica, Apple CEO Steve Jobs revealed during a speech to Apple employees today that the company has a team working on OS X for “some iPods we’re working on.” OS X, the Unix-based operating system that Jobs brought to the Macintosh following the acquisition of his company NeXT, is also the operating system found in iPhone, and credited for iPhone’s powerful multitasking, networking, and animation features, amongst others. Sources have suggested that the next-generation iPods mentioned by Jobs will debut in mid- to late-September, and include widescreen video playback, as well as other features similar to ones debuted in iPhone.

This is what I am really hoping for at this point. I'd like a genuine Video iPod,something with 100Gb or more of storage.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That would be very cool, but I hope they keep the Hard Drive for now as 8GB or so really is not enough for videos and such. I can understand the Flash Ram in the iphone as a Hard Drive in a phone would not be good at all, but on the ipods till larger and at a low price Flash Ram arrives, we need the space!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
i reckon osx on an ipod is stupid. complexity is one thing the ipod did without and sold because of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i think its stupid because that sounds like the ipod accessories (expensive one in my car etc) will not work with the new ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
an ipod is a music player so i dont want os x on it or them to try it.

Reaction score
I hope that they go through with this because I'm waiting to buy a new iPod until they release the iPhone minus the phone.

Reaction score
i reckon osx on an ipod is stupid. complexity is one thing the ipod did without and sold because of this.

And this is also the reason the iPhone is selling.... Oh hold on doesn't that use OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The only reason many of the accessories don't work with the iPhone is because of the interference caused by cellphone signals. Otherwise, I'm guessing can be made to emulate itself as the old ipod software with ease...

Reaction score
Every Hard Drive MP3 Player that I have ever seen uses and operating system....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think if the next ipod was os X based and used it's core fuctionality but was really easy to use. Almost the same UI as the 5th gen ipods then it'd be good. Maybe touch screen added in. Maybe not too. I'm undecided about it.

But in the end I like the ipod cause it's ultra easy to use. And if that feature is ever removed from the ipod, I won't be upgrading my 5th Gen one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
It'd be somewhat ironic to find out the ipod running osx plays music on a scalled down version of itunes....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
And this is also the reason the iPhone is selling.... Oh hold on doesn't that use OS X?
The iPhone is not just a phone however, it plays movies texts goes on the internet, does all these crazy things, and therefore needs a more complex OS as it has many more features. It is not designed for a single purpose for playing music, which the ipod really is. I know it plays videos, but come on, which of the 2 do you do on it more?

I'm saying, that a layout like the iphone on an ipod I would not welcome, I like the flawless simplicity the ipods have now and believe now that everyone is used to the workings of an ipod it would be stupid to suddenly change to a new method of usability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I for one would love an iPhone like iPod, and would probably buy one on release day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i would like it, but I put so much money into accessories, and would not like it if one day my ipod dies and I need a new one.. and i buy a new one only to find that they abandoned their old standards leaving my accessories useless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I think this would be a great idea myself.. I want the next ipod to have a touch screen and OSX on it.. If this did come true I would buy one. There are two things keeping me from getting the iphone.. price and HDD space..

Reaction score
The iPhone is not just a phone however, it plays movies texts goes on the internet, does all these crazy things, and therefore needs a more complex OS as it has many more features. It is not designed for a single purpose for playing music, which the ipod really is. I know it plays videos, but come on, which of the 2 do you do on it more?

I'm saying, that a layout like the iphone on an ipod I would not welcome, I like the flawless simplicity the ipods have now and believe now that everyone is used to the workings of an ipod it would be stupid to suddenly change to a new method of usability.

Think about it though... Doing this could open game development on the iPod more... Cooler games at least. Haha I just imagined missile command on an iPhone :) that would work really well...
Better yet... COVERFLOW and updateable codecs (you know maybe people might want to use that monster hard disk for lower compression. FLAC, monkey's Audio, etc).
How about bluetooth 2.0 support and WIFI while we're at it?
That would seriously kick BUTT!
lol an iPhone without the phone and a 100GIG drive.... game over for every mp3 player manufacturer out there.
Like.... THIS! (I made these when the iPhone was still speculation hence the controls are not EXACTLY right)
First
Second

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipod video 30 gb/ Macbook Pro 2.2...... iphone up next i know
I think this would be a great idea myself.. I want the next ipod to have a touch screen and OSX on it.. If this did come true I would buy one. There are two things keeping me from getting the iphone.. price and HDD space..

Same here about buying the iphone thats way to much for a phone also I have cingular and am not the biggest fan of them

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.