How to change Finder Sidebar Icons?

Reaction score
I've been searching like crazy and haven't been able to find an updated and free solution to this. I am wondering how to change the Finder sidebar icons without affecting the original icon.

For example, for the picture folder, when you view it in the finder sidebar, it shows only the picture frame, but when you look at it in Mac HD, it has a Blue Folder with a Picture Frame inside. I am wondering how to either restore or change that.

So if more clarification is needed, basically the picture folder looks one way in the finder sidebar than it does in the finder window. If anyone could help with the solution I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I managed to change my finder icon as im a tart xD using a program called candy bar - it costs $12!! ffs its a small company so give them sum business
Its an amazing bit of kit - will let u change allll of your icons inc applications system etc - candybar is the program - well worth £6 imo

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks man, but I'm kind of looking for something for free because I don't think it's worth money to change like a few finder icons, you know? I appreciate the help though

Reaction score
Hello,
old topic but same question.

I moved my Download directory and if I now drag it to the Finder's sidebar, the icon is not green anymore.

I have Snow Leopard.

cheers,
Tex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Tex, have you downloaded stuff since moving that folder? (Your terminology needs a little Windex, if you get my drift.) ;)

The OS just might recreate the Downloads Folder where it wants it. In fact, I can't move mine with a simple drag and drop. I can only copy it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.