new ibook owner here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz 15.4" MBP 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
hello everyone...

first of all, i would just like to let you all know that this forum has been very informative and helpful. i am brand new to macs and this site has assisted me greatly, so thank you all for that.

i just picked up a 12" 1 ghz g4 ibook and although its the lower end ibook, i have been very impressed so far. i feel like i have made a good decision as far as my situation (starving college student). anyhow, one of the things that i was a little disappointed with was the big cut of hd space all the pre loaded software takes up on my ibook. off the bat, its showing that i have lost ~10 gigs out of my tiny 30 gig hard drive. i want to know if i can free this up by possibly doing a fresh os install without any of the preloaded software, or if this is even safe. im also up for any other suggestions to free up some space.

thanks in advance for your help and i look forward to being a part of this mac community! :)

L

lzasitko

space on your drive

To start with a 30 gig hard drive is not really 30 gig :eek:

Most hard drive manufactures list it as 30 gig but they are using 1000 bytes not the 1024 that the computer actually uses so you likely loose a bit there.

OSX installs a lot of extra junk, I found a utility to delete all the languages that are installed and I can't use. In my case this freed up around 800meg.

If you do not use OS9 you could get rid of it....

You can also clean up all the pictures and screen savers etc, same as on a PC, I only keep themes etc that I use and scrap the rest.

Lots of ways to save space

You will find that Mac programs are much smaller then the same PC program so in some cases you don't need a larger drive.... Depends on what you do. I have a lot of pictures (around 10gig on mine) and music (another 8gig right now) so it is time to do some house cleaning..... May have to get an iPod for the music, but I have a minidisc player/recorder and really like it, now if only Sony would smarten up and get software for the mac.... There is a new minidisc that has 1gig discs and can now use data files but I don't know if it can read mp3's will have to look into it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hi i also just recieved my 12" ibook 1Ghz!

very cool total experience, only gripe is a slight slowdown when viewing/editing large photos in iphoto and running itunes at the same time.

But i'm guessing this is due to ram (i've only got 256) so i think i'll buy another 512MB stick soonish..

Btw the new Minidisc players will still only record/playback in atrac3 format, so forget them as a possible ipod alternative.

If i where you i'd hang on until they release new ones (shouldn't be too long) and then get a gen4 ipod...

just my 2cents!

L

lzasitko

minidisc

I like minidiscs and have a player in the van for them. I like them because of the hard shell and in all the time I have had mine (7 years or so) I have not had one bad disc. At the time I bought minidisc mp3 players were hard to get and expensive. My little Sony portable will play for over 20hrs on 1 rechargable AA.

One of these days I will buy an iPod, almost did when I bought the PowerBook but decided that memory for it was more important for now :D

But to get back to the original post... :D 256 meg is too little ram, get more and you will find it makes a huge difference in speed. With your setup you are running out of resources and will find that one or both will slow down or pause for a split second. I have 512 meg added in mine and I don't have any problems. Yesterday I was playing around and had Virtual PC running Autocad and redrawing a large file, had iphoto running and playing music and had a video going, I was up to around 65% memory used but I was tying up the processor almost completely.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the help!

now this is going to sound like a total n00b question, but how do i go about deleting programs off of my mac. is it just as simple as throwing the folder and its contents into the trash? im just used to the "add/remove programs" feature on a pc and i wonder if there is something similar on a mac.

also, how do i properly delete os9? would it be the same process? i apologize for my dumb questions :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
All you have to do is drag it to the trash. After you are sure! I suggest not deleting things like Appleworks; I have seen people regretting that. After dragging to trash, with Finder window open from the Finder pull down menu, secure empty trash ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome! thanks witeshark...i thought that this was the method, but it just seems a little too easy.

oh well, cheers to the mac!

P

pedXing

Hey...i have a question...i am soon going to be making the "switch" to mac, so for my FIRST mac what should i get a laptop or desktop...if laptop im gonna get an iBook if desktop i'll either get a eMac or iMac...so basically, I dont go out that much so im not sure if i need a laptop, but i really like to just lounge around the house. And if i get a desktop...i'll have some serious rearranging to do.

V

vuschejan

pedXing said:
Hey...i have a question...i am soon going to be making the "switch" to mac, so for my FIRST mac what should i get a laptop or desktop...if laptop im gonna get an iBook if desktop i'll either get a eMac or iMac...so basically, I dont go out that much so im not sure if i need a laptop, but i really like to just lounge around the house. And if i get a desktop...i'll have some serious rearranging to do.

Lounging around the house and being able to play with your wireless network is definitley a bonus i say go for the ibook

F

fatman

Great stuff :cool:

Hmmm i'm almost about to make the switch just researching a little bit more.

One thing I'd probably do if I get the 12" iBook is upgrade to a 60gig HDD.

S

sunny22

lzasitko said:
To start with a 30 gig hard drive is not really 30 gig :eek:

Most hard drive manufactures list it as 30 gig but they are using 1000 bytes not the 1024 that the computer actually uses so you likely loose a bit there.

OSX installs a lot of extra junk, I found a utility to delete all the languages that are installed and I can't use. In my case this freed up around 800meg.

If you do not use OS9 you could get rid of it....

You can also clean up all the pictures and screen savers etc, same as on a PC, I only keep themes etc that I use and scrap the rest.

Lots of ways to save space

You will find that Mac programs are much smaller then the same PC program so in some cases you don't need a larger drive.... Depends on what you do. I have a lot of pictures (around 10gig on mine) and music (another 8gig right now) so it is time to do some house cleaning..... May have to get an iPod for the music, but I have a minidisc player/recorder and really like it, now if only Sony would smarten up and get software for the mac.... There is a new minidisc that has 1gig discs and can now use data files but I don't know if it can read mp3's will have to look into it....

How do you delete the toehr themes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
He's talking about the themes on his PC... there aren't really any themes installed with OS X that you could remove...

You can delete pre-installed languages though to free up space:
Google DeLocalizer...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.