Problems with Vista Ultimate w/ Bootcamp 1.3

Reaction score
I recently bought a 15.4" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz and installed Vista Ultimate on it using Bootcamp 1.3

Everything worked fine for a while, but lately I've been having all sorts of weird problems.

1. Random restarts
2. BSOD saying DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
3. Plain black screen when logging-in to Vista
4. System not shutting down properly, getting stuck on PREPARING TO SHUTDOWN
5. Most bizarre, I just had my system go to 100% CPU utilization (verified under Performance in Task Manager) but when I checked Processes, none of them was using even 2%. My system was stuck on 100% CPU utilization, became totally unresponsive, and became absolutely SCALDING HOT as a consequence. I hit "STOP ALL INTERNET ACTIVITY" under Zone Alarm and the CPU utilization fell to around 50% but remained there. So I thought I would turn ZA off to see if that was hogging the resources. Turned it off and the CPU Util went straight back up to 100%. I had to hard power down the system.

I'm a bit concerned that my system may have a rootkit or something. Anybody else facing these / similar problems and what can I do to fix them? I'm thinking I may just reinstall Vista.

I can't only use OS X because I need to run PC apps as well (which is why I bought a Macbook Pro in the first place!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
This MS article may shed some light on your BSOD problem - especially since you mentioned there was some relation to internet connectivity.

Also, I wouldn't ignore driver related issues. I've got an Alienware system now that would restart occasionally. It took me forever to track it down to, of all things, the DVD-RW Driver.

Make sure you apply all available updates to Windows - even the optionals.

J

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I've downloaded that update and am about to apply it. Let's hope it helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
Good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Hmmm, I have Vista Ultimate running on my 2.16 C2D MBP and haven't had any problems, BSOD or restarts. Maybe something went haywire during the install.

Reaction score
5. Most bizarre, I just had my system go to 100% CPU utilization (verified under Performance in Task Manager) but when I checked Processes, none of them was using even 2%. My system was stuck on 100% CPU utilization, became totally unresponsive, and became absolutely SCALDING HOT as a consequence. I hit "STOP ALL INTERNET ACTIVITY" under Zone Alarm and the CPU utilization fell to around 50% but remained there. So I thought I would turn ZA off to see if that was hogging the resources. Turned it off and the CPU Util went straight back up to 100%. I had to hard power down the system.

I'm having the EXACT same problem. My MBP has worked perfectly under Vista for 3+ months, and suddenly today, my System process shoots to 100% and stays pegged on every reboot.

You can probably see the same if you select "see all processes".

The only changes I made were installing updates under OSX which includes Airport Extreme, battery, and DVD-RW updates. Perhaps one of these firmware updates messed something up?

Reaction score
Ok...I've pinned down the problem further. It is being caused by ndis.sys in the System task.

Disabling all my Network adapters does not cause the problem to go away.

Unfortunately, there's no way I can tell how to isolate further since ndis.sys is such a fundamental key component of Windows. Any ideas?

Reaction score
un-install windows and re-install it, see if that helps, typical windows eh, i'm getting a mac in october and am wandering wether to bother installing windows as well ,i just have no faith in it especially with all the viruses and stuff. But i understand if its a necesity, not for me though. Good luck!

OP
K
Reaction score
Well most of my Vista problems seem to have settled down now, though I still sometimes find that Firefox and / or IE will not start when I try to start them. When this happens, I have a problem shutting-down as well. For the moment the other problems have gone away, so I agree that perhaps an update caused the problems, and a subsequent update may have helped them to go away.

Edit: At some point in the future I think I may have to do a clean Vista re-install, I just don't have the energy to do it at the moment, especially since the problems are less frequent now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.