Urgent help for really old mac!

Reaction score
I have a really old mac - G4 version 9.2.2 - and i have uninstalled IE, is there anyway to get this back? I tried the bin from here but when I open it, I get "the document could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be found". Any help? I know nothing about macs pls excuse me O:)

Reaction score
.bin is a compression format. Use the free Stuffit Expander to decompress the file. It's available at macupdate.com, versiontracker.com and elsewhere. Make sure you download a pre-OS X version.

Reaction score
The old version (halfway down on the right side of the three listed) is available here. (Stuffit might be surprised that Prince Charles downloaded the most recent Expander to my computer a couple of months ago.)

OP
W
Reaction score
I have tried both .hqx and .sit versions and they both have the same error message when I run them from the USB stick?

OP
W
Reaction score
Actually if I can get a copy of OS 10 will it run on my G4 with 1.12GB built-in memory? Then I can just install that deleting all of the old rubbish and start again with a better OS??

Reaction score
I have tried both .hqx and .sit versions and they both have the same error message when I run them from the USB stick?
Try putting Expander on the desktop, then drag the .bin file onto it. I hope the Expander file isn't compressed itself.

OS X should run on your G4.

OP
W
Reaction score
Ah ok, I might invest into OS X then.

I have put the .sit file onto the desktop and the .bin onto the desktop, then tried dragging the .bin over the .sit but it doesnt do anything.

Reaction score
Not quite correct. Is Expander compressed with a .sit or .bin after its name, as well? (If so, this is an old chicken-and-egg problem Stuffit did on purpose to "persuade" people to buy their deluxe Stuffit app. People would download Expander, but Expander would be compressed. There'd be no way decompress the decompressor.)

Expander is a drag-and-drop application. When it, itself, is not compressed, you can drag a .bin or .sit file onto Expander's icon. Doing so expands the .bin or .sit file.

OP
W
Reaction score
Yes it is a .sit file, so where can I get the application from then? Are there any other free apps for expanding .bin on mac 9.2.2 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
IE is kind of, um, whats the word, the worst program ever. You should seriously try some other browsers.

Also, what??? iMac G4s came out after OS X, didn't they? How did your G4 end up with OS 9 on it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.