Lost in Onyxlation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz, 80Gb Blackbook
Can anyone explain to me in simple terms what onyx is supposed to do? or what it can be used for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i can tell you what i use it for.
I use the automation process. It runs the OSX built-in maintenence stuff (repair paritions, that sort of stuff) Cleans all your caches out, like internet, kernel (which i dont get)

basically what it does for me is just gives me a manual way of running the built-in OSX functions that keep things tidy. Since i dont leave my computer on overnight (which is when they are auto run), it gives me a way to clean things up myself.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can anyone explain to me in simple terms what onyx is supposed to do? or what it can be used for?

Onyx is a maintenance and customization utility for Mac OS X, it centralizes maintenance tasks into one easy to use interface. It also unlocks some of the hidden customization options that Mac OS X provides.

OP
Scremox
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz, 80Gb Blackbook
oOo i like i like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.