Mac and .Avi

Reaction score
I heard that mac is not compatible with .avi , and that kind of worries me since i have a lot of music videos and most of them are .avi, will i loose them when i make the switch

Reaction score
You can play AVI videos with players such as VLC or MPlayer. AVI is simply a container format so some of your videos may or may not play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
With the right codecs you can play them all fine in QuickTime as well

OP
elbolao23
Reaction score
can they be burned into dvds? because before i had to download the codecs for windows, which is what im using right now, it woulnt let me burned them

Reaction score
If you burn them as data DVDs, they should work fine. However, it sounds like you tried to convert them to be viewable on a regular DVD player, hence the codec problems. Do you need them to be playable on standalone DVD players?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Get Perian as suggested above, this will allow you to play all kinds of video formats, adn then get Burn...a free app that will let you convert .avi to DVD playable format for standard DVD players, and will burn the DVD as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...
get perian and it will play in quicktime,, i convert flash files from youtube to avi files with visualhub and no problems, plays perfectly... trpmonkey is right.

OP
elbolao23
Reaction score
yeah i do, i burn music videos to play them in my cars in dash dvd player....and the drop tvs and stuff,...so that program will fix that?

Reaction score
I just downloaded Perian and it worked like a charm. Except that it seems only to work with QuickTime, and not with the video player that gets activated when I use the remote control. Is it possible to get that program to work with AVI files as well?

Reaction score
I just downloaded Perian and it worked like a charm. Except that it seems only to work with QuickTime, and not with the video player that gets activated when I use the remote control. Is it possible to get that program to work with AVI files as well?
Frontrow uses quicktime, so Perian works with frontrow too. Have you tried restarting or log-off and log-in back again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
DivX Player works well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.