Gmail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
If I send an email from my computer on my gmail account, I'll receive the message I just sent on my iphone as if it were a new message from someone else. This is kind of annoying, does anyone else have this problem/know how to fix it? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Oddly, many people are having this problem, myself included. Cali Lewis from GeekBrief TV also mentioned having this problem as well. Sounds like a bug that just hasn't been sorted out yet.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Try using Gmail with Mail, that solved it for me.

I do, the gmail on the iPhone's mail application is what I'm talking about. Since my computer and phone are synced, I receive the same mail and can send mail from both devices, but for some reason on the phone I get the mail I send back. (Not on the mac though.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
You're certainly not alone. I am having the same problem. Whenever I send an email from the iphone through my gmail account, it gets sent back to me. I agree with Osiris, it feels like a software bug. Nothing the next update can't fix.

Reaction score
same thing happens w/my blackberry pearl. I think this is so you can have a record of the sent mail. B/c if you send it from your pc, you won't have a copy of the email on your phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
This is not an iPhone issue. Its GMail's POP support. If you go to gmails website you will notice the threaded emails. If you send an email from the web client and then open up Mail.app you will see it downloads the e-mails you sent as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can you think of anyway to get around the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait for Google to come up with push IMAP or change their POP setup

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is different about the mail application on my mac that prevents this from happening if it's a google problem? Couldn't apple just make the iPhone mail app the same as the mac mail app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my thoughts exactly, hopefully this will be cleared up in a future update

Reaction score
Actually there is nothing wrong. It has to do with the way Gmail's "conversation" type system. Try gmail with any other email client on PC or mac... the same thing happens. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you do not use GMail's web client you can set up a rule to delete any emails from your e-mail [email protected] but then you won't have the conversation layout

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is not an iPhone issue. Its GMail's POP support. If you go to gmails website you will notice the threaded emails. If you send an email from the web client and then open up Mail.app you will see it downloads the e-mails you sent as well.

Agreed completely. Gmail POP has always done that on any Email client I have tried. It's a Gmail issue. It's something I have just learned to live with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
why would it be that this happens when I'm using my iPhone but not the MacMail app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its just the way GMail works with mobile phones. The issue is the same on BlackBerry's and all other smartphones that don't have a dedicated Gmail app

Reaction score
I read somewhere that you can just make it (in your gmail account, not on your phone) delete any messages automatically from yourself. The drawback is if you email yourself info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.