Apple says not to leave battery plugged in, anyone do this?

Reaction score
According to Apples website battery recommendations, they say

"Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time"

I use my notebook mainly at home. I usually kept my old Compaq notebook plugged in all the time (I still do). Apple doesnt recommend what you should do, only what you shouldnt.

Should you run the battery down before charging each time? Is the battery covered under AppleCare ?

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Reaction score
yea, I make it a pratice to drain the battery once a week down to 2% or so. I read an article where it said that it improves the battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...
whattt i have had my MBP plugged in all the time and drain the battery once a month to calibrate... I have never had trouble with it or when i was using a powerbook.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've seen these recommendations elsewhere, but I don't know that it's really anything to worry about.

At work, we have about 100 notebooks. Most of them are left plugged in the majority of the time. I've seen batteries remain usable after 5 years+ when used in this fashion. They're all Lithium-Ion batteries, no different than what Apple uses in its notebooks. So, in theory, it might not be a bad idea to regularly purge your battery, but I can tell you in reality that it's not going to put excessive wear on it if you don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
if you remove your battery while ACed, your clock speed (according at least to CoreduoTemp) almost cuts in half.

anyone else see this yet?

Reaction score
What do you mean "ACed?"

ALSO when your mbp is unplugged and on can you take the battery out and change in a new one? Or will it turn off the computer? For some reason I remember my friend taking the battery out of his powerbook g4 when it wasnt plugged in and he said the notebook will stay on for about 5 mins. or so.

Is this true? Is it bad to do this? I'd imagine it's only to change the battery without turning it off if you're on the go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
I believe what kgier82 meant by "ACed" is plugged in.

Reaction score
Batteries do need to drain and charge..... a fully charged battery for 2 years will not charge up the same as one that gets drained once a week etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.67Mhz Hi Res - 2gig RAM, 100g 7200 HD + Pismo G3 400Mhz - 512mb RAM, 30g HD
By recalibrating my battery every now and again once I'd learned it was a good thing to do, I've got my battery health up from 89% to 94% according to iStat Pro...I usually use my laptop plugged in at my desk, all I do is make sure I run the battery down until it's flat when I take it into the lounge occasionally.

Reaction score
when your mbp is unplugged and on can you take the battery out and change in a new one? Or will it turn off the computer? For some reason I remember my friend taking the battery out of his powerbook g4 when it wasnt plugged in and he said the notebook will stay on for about 5 mins. or so.

Is this true? Is it bad to do this? I'd imagine it's only to change the battery without turning it off if you're on the go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.