Virus on a mac

Reaction score
I have been told and promised that macs dont get viruses. However my questain is, is it possible for a mac to pass on a virus.

I.e. what happends is someone using a PC sends me an e mail that contains a virus and I forward this e mail from my mac to another windows based PC. Can this virus be passed on.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I have been told and promised that macs dont get viruses. However my questain is, is it possible for a mac to pass on a virus.

I.e. what happends is someone using a PC sends me an e mail that contains a virus and I forward this e mail from my mac to another windows based PC. Can this virus be passed on.

Thanks.

Yes, you may have a virus on your mac, and while it isn't affecting your computer, you can EASILY pass it on to a PC user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yes you can easily pass a virus onto another computer.

and yes, the general rule of thumb is that macs dont get viruses. well, there are one or two out there one of them is bad the other is a proof of concept virus. but basically you need to install it onto your computer after giving our admin password etc....
-chris

OP
B
Reaction score
How do I get rid of it, a friend told me he recieved a virus from me, I said it was impossible. Please help

Can u recomend free anti virus software.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
AVG Anti-Virus, Free Edition

http://free.grisoft.com/

-free forever (not a "trial version")
-light on resources, unlike Norton, MacAfee, etc.
-known to be effective

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
antivir. it can be downloaded for free, it says it is a 3 months trial but it keeps working after the trial is over. i have used it on three different PCs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
How do I get rid of it, a friend told me he recieved a virus from me, I said it was impossible. Please help

Can u recomend free anti virus software.

Thanks

Did you forward an attachment to him? An .exe file, perhaps? Check your outbox. If you find one, then simply delete it, and any copies of that file you may have.

In the future, don't send attachments to people unless
1. You know what they are, and
2. You know that the person actually wants and is expecting what you're sending.

Follow those simple rules, and you'll never spread a virus, regardless of whether you have antivirus software on your Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
I forward an e mail containg some photos from iphoto. Can it pass that way.

Thanks for your peplies.

BY the way this is my forst mac, i have a 24 inch imac its brilliant

But then you all knew that right?

Thanks again Antony, (Im off to download the software)

OP
B
Reaction score
I have been to the website, I cant find a a version of AVG for the mac.

Please advise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Oh, sorry,
I thought you were asking for some anti-virus software for Windows that you can pass to your friend for his PC.

As for Mac OS X anti-virus software... I really have no clue; I've never really looked into that. ;p

A quick Google search yields this:

http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/endpoint/security-and-control/mac/

But personally, I think it's pretty unnecessary to install anti-virus software on a Mac. Seriously.

Just use a little bit of common sense, like the stuff Technologist said above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Yes, you may have a virus on your mac, and while it isn't affecting your computer, you can EASILY pass it on to a PC user.

Is it though? Yes, if you forward on an email with an attachment, but it would be your fault for passing it on and his fault if he opens it.
It's not possible for an email to arrive on your Mac with a virus and have itself pass it on without your knowledge. You'd need a virus in the first place to pass on another virus, and there's no way for OS X to succumb to that.

That's how most PC viruses spread their way through email, not through the user manually sending it on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.