Mac G4 Doesn't recognize new DVDRW?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac - 1GHz G4 - 768MB RAM - 200GB - DVDRW
Hi all,

I just installed a new IDE DVDRW drive into my Mac. It will read CD's just fine. It will read the Apple iLife DVD, but it will not burn DVD's. If I put a blank DVD-R into the drive, it will just spit it back out and give me an error code saying it doesn't recognize this drive. Is there a driver or software that I need?

Thanks for your help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Some burners are not recognized by OSX burning apps. What program are you trying to use to burn?

There is Patchburn that will allow most drives to work. Give that a try.

http://www.patchburn.de/

Is it Mac OSX that is giving you that message?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac - 1GHz G4 - 768MB RAM - 200GB - DVDRW
Hi Travis,

Thanks for your info. I'm new to macs, so I thought I could just drag data to the desktop cd icon that is supposed to appear when you put the disc in. Yes, Mac OSX (10.3.9) is giving me the message. I have downloaded the application and I will let you know the results when I install it. If the burner is not recognized automatically by OSX, will it still work when I install the burner application?

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.