Force restart issues...etc...

Reaction score
I have a dual gig quicksilver and have had some problems lately:

1.) It all started with my system not re-booting fully after shutting down. I noticed that I had to either let it sit for 15-30 mins before I could get it to start or had to open up the tower for about 10 mins. When I would press the power button I would get the startup chime, but the monitor would not power on and it would just sit there. I use a 22" cinema display. At first I thought it was the PRAM battery, so I replaced that a month ago.

2.) When I do get it to start up sometimes I have been getting the force restart screen. Also, I have tried to Archive and Install but getting the force restart as well. Right now I am actually making prcgress with that so far. I have also had many problems burning CD's. My burner is a Pioneer DVR-104.

I ran a hardware test last night and all passed. I was able to run a system utility from the OSX CD and all passed as well. I tried to run Disk Warrior but it locked up in the middle of the scan.

The fan is working as I can see (and feel) it spin. Could I be overheating and the system shuts it's self off as a saftey procedure?

Any other things to look at? Also, does anyone know how to replace the CD/DVD drive for this model mac? I tried to give it a go once and could not get it out. I have been able to replace these on other models, but this one is really in there good.

thanks!

OP
D
Reaction score
Also, once I complete my Archive and install. What OS update should I run? I used to be on 10.4.2 because it worked so well for me...but am open to suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.