Mac memory - Crucial.com alternative?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Hi everyone,
I am wanting to upgrade a future imac, i had a look on crucial.com but noticed the site is american. Does anyone know of a UK alternative that is as cheap, there is no way i'm paying apple's ram upgrade prices!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi everyone,
I am wanting to upgrade a future imac, i had a look on crucial.com but noticed the site is american. Does anyone know of a UK alternative that is as cheap, there is no way i'm paying apple's ram upgrade prices!

Try http://www.Crucial.com/uk to get to the UK branch of Crucial. Crucial is the retail division of Micron, which is an international company. You don't have to buy from them as Macs use the same memory as PCs, but they do offer a lifetime warranty, the memory is of the highest quality and they have very good customer service.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent. Thank you very much!
Is apple memory as easy to install as PC memory (imac)? One more thing, how many slots for ram does the current imac have?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is apple memory as easy to install as PC memory (imac)? One more thing, how many slots for ram does the current imac have?

In my experience, it is. Typically you would remove a cover plate (detailed in your manual) and plug the module(s) into a slot. The Crucial website will tell you exactly what type and how many slots your machine has.

Reaction score

Why ARE THERE SO MUCH BRITISH ON THESE GOL DARN FORUMS.

Anyways, you might be alarmed, but you have to completely remove the back of your iMac. I mean...you know...cut it in half. After that go straight for the RAM modules. Remove the current ones, and pop the new ones right in (and when I say pop I mean SHOVE them in because there's a lot of resistance). Personally, though, I would love to stop you from buying an iMac. I don't mean to overstep my boundaries, but they're basically laptops...that are unportable. The MacBook is just as powerful, and the MacBook Pro is twice as powerful. Oh well, its your choice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Isn't the point of web forums to be able to freely exchange information with people from all walks of life and nationalities? What a boring place it would be if it were just restricted to just the US.

Anyways, you might be alarmed, but you have to completely remove the back of your iMac. I mean...you know...cut it in half. After that go straight for the RAM modules. Remove the current ones, and pop the new ones right in (and when I say pop I mean SHOVE them in because there's a lot of resistance). Personally, though, I would love to stop you from buying an iMac. I don't mean to overstep my boundaries, but they're basically laptops...that are unportable. The MacBook is just as powerful, and the MacBook Pro is twice as powerful. Oh well, its your choice.

It's not anywhere near that complicated. You simply remove the stand and a small cover and then insert the modules. Anyone can do it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

Reaction score
Isn't the point of web forums to be able to freely exchange information with people from all walks of life and nationalities? What a boring place it would be if it were just restricted to just the US.

It's not anywhere near that complicated. You simply remove the stand and a small cover and then insert the modules. Anyone can do it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

Oh, crap.
I removed the back half of mine.
Sheesh, something could of gone wrong.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, crap.
I removed the back half of mine.
Sheesh, something could of gone wrong.

Then you are an idiot and clearly xenophobic. In this day and age I expect people on like-minded forums to be accepting to each other. Do you see me complaining about how many americans are on forums? No.

prick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
I don't mean to overstep my boundaries, but they're basically laptops...that are unportable. The MacBook is just as powerful, and the MacBook Pro is twice as powerful. Oh well, its your choice.

The iMacs are, in some ways, MacBook Pros that are cheaper. Similar, if not larger, screens, similar memory cards (not the current ones, but a few months ago the MacBookPros and bottom of the line iMacs had the very same video cards- The Radeon Mobility X1600. The Macbook has NO video card at all- while a very capable machine, the trade-off for portability is either power or price. Want power and portability? MacBook Pro. Portability and price? MacBook. Price and power? iMac.

My two cents.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am a clumsy oaf who, to be fair should not be trusted with a laptop. I have broken several before when using it "in the field" (screens, cracks etc..) Especially when i will be using it for editing video (i cannot afford a macpro, so i'll just have to make do with an imac). Because it's such an expensive purchase (and i'll be working from home) the imac makes sense.

I will be waiting for the new ones though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

To help people improve their spelling and grammar. Why, do you have a problem with "so much British?"

Back on topic, I've been using Crucial for years, they are great. Both my Macs have Crucial RAM.

Reaction score
Then you are an idiot and clearly xenophobic. In this day and age I expect people on like-minded forums to be accepting to each other. Do you see me complaining about how many americans are on forums? No.

prick.

Whoa whoa whoa. Look at the way I said it. Did it look mean? No, I was just making fun! Did I call you a name? No. Did I swear at you? No. After I made the comment, I went on to help you out like you asked. You need to sprout a sense of humor.

Reaction score
To help people improve their spelling and grammar. Why, do you have a problem with "so much British?"

Back on topic, I've been using Crucial for years, they are great. Both my Macs have Crucial RAM.

You people are absolutely rediculous! Has talking about computers for so long worn out your sense of humor. Anyone who thought I was serious after I used the word "gol darn" is a complete moron. Seriously.

And, CWA107, it was actually easer for me to remove the back plate of the iMac because I had a better angle on getting the RAM in there (also I was adding a new hard drive) plus I only had to undo 3 screws.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3G Black Macbook 2.16ghz, 2gb, 160gb
now now, i think we all (Yanks and Brits) need to calm down, drink some tea, remember our 'special relationship' and mabye hand out some dictionaries...

i just upgraded my macbook to 2gb from 1gb this afternoon, via crucial in the UK.
service was outstanding, they even managed to get it to me over the weekend (royal mail strike did not affect their shipping)

hope your upgrade goes alright
proud to be British.
Pete

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoa whoa whoa. Look at the way I said it. Did it look mean? No, I was just making fun! Did I call you a name? No. Did I swear at you? No. After I made the comment, I went on to help you out like you asked. You need to sprout a sense of humor.

When you're typing, it's hard to relay/interpret the tone of your comments. I can see how that statement could be taken the wrong way, especially with it typed in all caps (which is the Internet equivalent of shouting).

Either way, I don't think you meant any harm, I would hope that you guys could just make peace here and move on.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, i am now at peace. Emotions are hard to convey in text. Apologies for the prick comment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
You people are absolutely rediculous! Has talking about computers for so long worn out your sense of humor. Anyone who thought I was serious after I used the word "gol darn" is a complete moron. Seriously.

And, CWA107, it was actually easer for me to remove the back plate of the iMac because I had a better angle on getting the RAM in there (also I was adding a new hard drive) plus I only had to undo 3 screws.

There was NO indication that your post was humourous - in fact it being in capitals reinforces it's impact. A simple ;) at the end of it would have made it less likely that readers - myself included - were potentially insulted by your post. Or better still, just don't say it. The use of "gol darn" simply made you sound like a redneck, and certainly didn't add any humour. Next time, think before you post, because you sound like a xenophobe.

This added to your calling another poster a "Prick", and the blanket description of anyone insulted by your apparently xenophobic comment as being a "moron," makes you sound like a pretty unpleasant person. IMO, of course.

Oh, and you spelled ridiculous wrongly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3G Black Macbook 2.16ghz, 2gb, 160gb
so, after all that

does the original poster feel that they have had their question answered?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.