Clean Sweep

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a fairly new Mac owner and upon receiving my laptop I decided to try and learn as much as I could about Macs through experimentation. After putting my laptop through a few questionable downloads, I have found myself with a laptop that runs exceptionally slower than when I purchased it. In short, I'm looking for a way to totally clean my hard drive and restore my laptop to the point of when I purchased it. This would be the Windows version of a total system restore. Since I'm new, I don't really know of any way to do this, so if anyone could tell me, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Insert your OS X disc that came with the computer. Click install OS X, let it do it's thing, eventually choose the option "Clean install." This will revert it to facotry settings (And wipe ALL the data you may have put on it since getting it. Be sure to backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
you might want to run onyx before you reload, any time I have any slowdown Onyx cleans my machine right up. Just run the daily, weekly, and monthly scripts.

Just another thought, can't hurt. Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
you need to press C while starting so it boots from the CD.

Reaction score
Clean Sweep just for unnecessary files?

I know Mac does not provide a clean sweep for unnecessary files (the junk accumulated after downloading an application, etc.). Is there a trusted program to provide a search and destroy mission, or do I have to do it manually file by file? Thanks I use a MacBook 10.5.8

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've had exceptional luck with AppCleaner. It's free and gets rid of files for that application that don't get removed when you simply trash it. That said, if an app comes with an uninstaller, don't use AC and use the uninstaller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.