• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Handbrake: Optimal settings to convert for iPod/iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Ok, I've sorted out the issues with ripping/converting movies, but the settings in Handbrake are a little overwhelming for a newb like me.

Can someone who does this a lot tell me what setting are best for the best picture/audio an iPod/iPhone screen with the smallest overall file size?

Thanks again for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Well, after having ripped about 10 movies today for my iPhone, I finally found settings that seemed to work ok for me. I use MP4 file format, mpeg-4/aac codecs, framerate of 24, average bitrate of 500, Output picture settings of 480 x whatever keeps the aspect ration the same. I set the audio to 64 bitrate, although even the lesser ones sound fine to me over the speaker or headphones. All this produces a movie file about 400-500MB in size depending on the length of the movie. I am going to try some smaller output sizes to see what they look like. Ideally I would like to get the fils sizes down to about 250MB without losing quality in sound or picture, but havent really had much time today to play around with it. Just wanted to get some on it for vacation next week to watch enroute.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Thanks for the reply! Keep me posted if you find some good settings at lower memory consumption!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Use the following:

MP4/H.264
Bitrate no higher than 1500k
Video no larger than 640x480
Using 2 pass will give you better quality and an only slight higher file size. This will come in handy should you choose to watch the video on a regular TV at some point.

Remember, the lower the bitrate and video size, the smaller the resulting file will be.

Most of mine are ripped at 320x240 with a bitrate between 750K and 1200K.

There is a guide HERE, although it is a bit dated the settings will still work and it's a good walk through (there were changes in the GUI between 8.0 and 8.5). Eventually I'll update it though.

There are threads in the HandBrake Forums about this too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.