Best way to go from PC to Macbook?

Reaction score
Hi all

I've just bought my daughter a 13" Macbook and a 30gb iPOD Video.

She currently has a Sony Laptop and an iPOD Mini.

What would be the best way to get her music off her old systems onto her new Macbook and iPOD?

Thanks

Reaction score
Easiest way is to use iTunes' backup feature. Depending on how big her library is, you might want to buy some DVD blanks first. I was faced with the same situation: http://pika2000sblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/switching-to-mac-day-2.html
Couple catches:
1. Although you retain ratings and play count, you loose last played tags. Not really an issue if you don't use that tag in smart playlist at all.
2. The backup feature won't backup any playlists. However, you can export playlists quite easily.
3. After switching to the Mac, you might want to restore her iPods with iTunes on the Mac. Although Macs can read and transfer music fine on Windows formatted iPods, you can only update the firmware on Mac formatted iPods.

Reaction score
3. After switching to the Mac, you might want to restore her iPods with iTunes on the Mac. Although Macs can read and transfer music fine on Windows formatted iPods, you can only update the firmware on Mac formatted iPods.

Really? You are saying that using my iPod under windows, I cannot update the firmware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can update firmware only on the computer the iPod is formatted under. So if you format the iPod under Windows, you need to use a Windows PC to update it, and if you format it under OS X, then you need a Mac to update the iPod.

As for moving files, I would actually recommend Ethernet. The transfer speeds are very fast and you won't waste blank CDs or DVDs.

Migrate Your Files

Reaction score
As for moving files, I would actually recommend Ethernet. The transfer speeds are very fast and you won't waste blank CDs or DVDs.

Migrate Your Files
Question is, will this keep ratings and play counts? Of course, if those things don't matter, than you can simply re-import any music from the PC to the new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
To migrate ratings and play counts, you will need to move the two iTunes library files from the old computer to the iTunes directory on the new computer.

Reaction score
To migrate ratings and play counts, you will need to move the two iTunes library files from the old computer to the iTunes directory on the new computer.
Simply copying those 2 files won't work. PC and Mac have different directory structure. The OP has to do some manual editting on those files. I'm not sure if the OP/daughter would want to do that, which is why I suggested the simpler backup route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Simply copying those 2 files won't work. PC and Mac have different directory structure. The OP has to do some manual editting on those files. I'm not sure if the OP/daughter would want to do that, which is why I suggested the simpler backup route.

That's how I copied my library from my PC to my Mac, and it seemed to work just fine.

OP
-Oy-
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.

I think I'll just copy the MP3s from PC to MAC via my NAS and let iTunes index them anew on the Mac - then sync the new iPOD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
That works. I backed mine to an external HD then transferred.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.