• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Want to compelte copy DVDs, convert for iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
To start, I'm pretty much a novice at this. Many of my DVDs are going bad with scratches so I wanted to copy them on my computer and put them on new DVDs. I tried Handbrake, but didn't work well. Then I got Mac the Ripper, which has been great for making a direct copy of my DVDs in the Audio/Video TC folders and playing them via DVD Player. Awesome, I've already done a bunch! Here's what I want to do:

As I found out, DVD-Rs are only 4GB and most movies are much more than that. Is there a program that will somehow strip off all the extra junk and just leave the movie in it's full audio/video quality? Can I convert the files already on the computer, or do I need to use the DVD again?

I also want to convert them to play in iTunes/iPod/iPhone. What program will let me do that fairly easily? I've seen the programs on other threads, but will they work with the files I already have on my computer? I don't want to lose the DVD-quality files either.

Basically, I want to use Mac the Ripper to get the full DVD copy, make a strip down copy from that that can be put on DVD-R, then make a converted copy of that which will work in iTunes.

Easy? Too much? Thanks for you help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.