Can I use this new router to print wirelessy or connect an external drive?

Reaction score
I have a ancient smc wireless router that I want to replace. It's wired to a windows pc. The router broadcasts to a G5 Imac and I also just bought a macbook, canon printer, and airport express with the idea of printing wirelessly and/or using it for airtunes.

I also need to buy an external hard drive for itunes storage. I read somewhere that with the Airport Extreme you can plug an external drive or printer into the USB port and share it on the network.

I was looking into this router: d-link DIR 625
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127220

I see it has a USB port but I can't find any description of what it's purpose is. Can this port be used the same way?

If I could share a printer through it (or any other wireless router that costs ~$100) then I could use the airport express strictly for airtunes. The airport extreme looks great but seems a little pricey. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
The airport extreme looks great but seems a little pricey.
Maybe pricey, but it works! I don't know the particular Dlink router you reference, but if it doesn't enthusiastically endorse using the USB port for shared hard drives and printers, then it is only a programming/maintenance port.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, I wasn't sure if any router with USB ports had that capability (external drive) but I guess not.

Say I put my itunes library on a external USB2.0 hard drive and shared it through the IMAC. Would I notice any performance problems If I were surfing the web, watching youtubes videos, etc, on the IMAC, but somebody else was wirelessly accessing the itunes library on the external hard drive from the macbook?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.