• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac the ripper errors

Reaction score
I'm about to take a pretty long flight from Tokyo to Canada, and I wanted to rip a few of my Japanese DVDs to my Hard drive so I could play them on the flight. Playing the movies off of video_ts directories saves my battery (no dvd drive spinning) and allows me to carry a few less discs with me.

I usually use Mactheripper on my MBP Core Duo, but after the most recent software update there was a superdrive firmware upgrade, and now when I try to load mactheripper it loads for a few seconds and then automatically quits before the main window appears. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and how they have fixed it? Or if anyone might have any suggestions?

Best Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I just fired up MTR this evening and didn't have a problem. What version of MTR do you have?

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm using Mac the Ripper 2.6.6 but it won't even load up? I'm not sure what the problem could be?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try using Drive-in - made by the folks at Flip4Mac - it's still in beta testing and free at this time - works great on all except some of the Sony zero cell dvd's which they are working on

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.