Question about Hard Drive Space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
Hello all,

I have a quick question on hard drive space. My wifes Macbook has a 160 gig hard drive that is nearly full. She is a student and carries all files all the time, and does really not want to have to start carrying an external drive around all the time. Samsung has a 2.5 inch 250 gig 5400 rpm serial ata hard drive for sale for $209 on newegg. So here is my question, does the macbook have a PC bios like limitation to hard drive space? I remember back in the day having to flash the bios on a pc to get it to recognize over 100 gigs, etc. Are you all aware of any limitations on hard drive space like this with the macbook?

Thanks for any advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD
I don't think so. The only limitation to FAT32 is the individual file cannot be larger than 4gb. I would double check to see that the samsung HDD that you found on newegg is actually small enough. Not all 2.5" drives fit the macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
Not all 2.5" drives fit the macbook.

Really? The OP said 2.5" SATA drive though.. I was under the impression that all 2.5" SATA HD's will work in the Macbook. Am I wrong? Sorry, but I'm planning on upgrading my HD in a couple months too. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Gee I thought 2.5" was 2.5" regardless of the hard drive space involved. I couldn't imagine there would be a difference...in fact I would bet my house on it.

Perhaps she need to use a file zip program on files that she does not access often to save some space....thats's what I would do first then a external drive after that. When I upgrade the drive in the laptop later it could then become my backup drive.

OP
cgchambers
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
Thanks for the replies, my big question is not the physical size, I have changed those drives before. I am just trying to find out if the MacBook see's all 250 gigs, or if it is limited at 200?

Thanks again, I appreciate everyones responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Thanks for the replies, my big question is not the physical size, I have changed those drives before. I am just trying to find out if the MacBook see's all 250 gigs, or if it is limited at 200?

Thanks again, I appreciate everyones responses.

This site has never done me wrong. I trust the information on it.

http://www.ifixit.com/Products/MacBook-13-Inch/Hard-Drives/7/86

Notice the 250 GB model in the first spot. I think this means you can do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.