• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

does Mpeg 4 plays on all stand alone dvd players ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
If I make a data disc using toast with an mpeg 4 file, will it play on all standalone dvd players.

The format is: MPEG-4 (Perian), 384 x 288, Millions AAC, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz

I don't want to author a dvd disc using toast, because it takes way to long, it takes about 10 hours and my macbook gets about about 65-70 degrees Celsius.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Nope. No DVD players play MP4 unless they say so right on the packaging. DVD is MPEG2.

I have a Philips DVD player that does play other formats... MP4 DivX Xvid avi etc. You have to look for those when buying your DVD player if you want to play those formats.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if I make a data disc with an mpeg 2 file then it should play on any standalone dvd player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
no, a data disc will not work. It has to be 'muxed' into a true VOB DVD.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aghh ok...thanks anyway

by muxed into a true vob dvd do you mean like in the video_ts folder format. with the vob files, the ifo files and the bup files?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.