Re-partioning HD.

A

artmusic247

Aloha,

I have a 15" 1.25Ghz PB with OS10.3.3 and would like to redo partioning my HD. Is this safe for a novice to do? I have a external FW hard drive that I was going to save my origingal system and all my files in. Then I was going to use the external HD as the startup drive, partion the internal drive and then reload everything back in. Does this sound right? Will there be any problems by doing it this way? My setup has been running really good now so I would like everything to be working the same as it was.

Your advice will save me a lot of aggravation.

Thanks, Dean.

OP
B

Badger

Just copying from one disk to the other is not the best route. You should use a utility that will clone your old disk so that you get an exact copy. Then you can reformat and partition your original disk and restore it from the clone. You can also use a utility that will re-partition your hard disk without erasing the data. The advantage to creating a clone is that you will have a complete backup of your hard disk.
Badger

OP
A

artmusic247

Thanks for answering my question. Can you recommend a program that can clone my drive? I did a search but can't seem to find anything useful.

Thanks Dean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
artmusic247 said:
Thanks for answering my question. Can you recommend a program that can clone my drive? I did a search but can't seem to find anything useful.

Thanks Dean.

try silverkeeper app from LaCie to back up.
for repartitioning I sugest to boot from OS X CD and use disk utility. though the disk will be completely erased after partirioning.
by my opinion 60–80 gig HD is not that big to need the partitioning. you may loose some flexability in storage.

OP
B

Badger

There is a shareware program called Carbon Copy Cloner that will do both drive cloning and backups. Best of all it's only $5. You can check it out at: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7032. There is a similar program called Clone X by Tri-Edre software that is about $50 ( A 30-day demo is available), www.tri-edre.com. For a normal repartition use Disk Utility as noted above. If you want to try a live partition (This will preserve your data) FWB Partition Toolkit will do it, www.fwb.com. However, Partition Toolkit is OS 9.1 through 9.2x and should be run from a bootable CD or other external drive so it can be frustrating to set up.
When I upgraded my old iMac's HD I used Clone X to clone the drive and Partition Toolkit to partition the new disk. They both did their jobs.
Badger

OP
J

jerodhusvar

artmusic247 said:

Thanks Dean.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner almost daily. I recommend it highly. Clone-X is decent, too, but I prefer CCC.

jjh

OP
A

artmusic247

Thanks for all the info. I feel confident going into this task.

Thanks again, Dean.

OP
A

artmusic247

I did it! I bought LaCie's 200 gig Firewire 800 drive. I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and copied the data from my PB to the external HD. Then I re-partitioned my PB internal drive and used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the data back to my PB. Piece of cake. Thanks for all the help.

DKW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.