Should I get a screen protector?

Reaction score
I always buy screen protectors for all of my products. I usually use the Clear Touch brand. I have it for my iPod, current PocketPC, Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, etc.
My question: I know in the beginning it was said the iPhone would not be a problem with scratches and smudges. Then recently it was announced that it has the new scratch free glass screen. Is it really true? I went to the Apple Store last night to buy a 8GB iPhone and the guy said how the screen protectors are very popular. He said they sold out within 5 minutes, before anything. Should I really get one and if so which brand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I read something that Apple is officially recommending not using protectors as it may interfere with using the touch screen optimally, but at the same time they are selling protectors a 3rd party is producing. (lame)

PC World did a stress test where they attempted to scratch the screen directly and even drop it on concrete and the screen didn't scratch, so I'd say it's pretty resilient and you probably don't need a protector. Anything rougher than what they did would go right through a protector you could buy and still effectively use the touch screen.

Here's a link to the video:

http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I think fleurya summed it up well. A screen protector is pointless and will actually mess up using the touch screen.

This sucker is durable, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 2GB Ram, 120 GB HD
I'm not worried about the screen as much as I am the overall phone. When I was at AT&T yesterday working on activation, I found a case I really liked that didn't have anything covering the screen. It's this one here.

jah

Reaction score
get a screen protector.

small chance it will prevent proper operation, they are use on pda's too

once the iphone screen is all scratched up its too late.

get a hard plastic case, only thing effective if you drop, the dead animal skin only gives it a look you care

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
dont peel the screen clear cover from the iPhone and your good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
the problem with using a screen protector is that the screen doesn't work the way other pda-type screens work. this screen works by detecting the electrical current that your hand conducts rather than sensing pressure from something like a stylus. Try it, if you have gloves on, or attempt to operate it with a stylus. If you put a screen on it, you would interfere with the current and the device wouldn't respond accurately

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.